You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How To Replace InDesign Photo Editing Workflow

Hi everyone,

I've been trying Publisher on Mac a bit and it seems that I can't quite figure out how to replace my current InDesign photo editing workflow when preparing for printing.

Example: A simple CMYK brochure, in InDesign:

• Create layout with texts and images as they come from editors.
  • Prepare for printing
    • Do this for every page:
      • Click on image
      • Remember actual width on page (like 90 mm)
      • Right click “Edit with... -> Adobe Photoshop“
      • Now in Photoshop: Press Ctrl + Alt + I, adjust width to 90 mm and dpi value to desired print dpi
      • Further in Photoshop: Convert image to CMYK + do some basic photo editing so that image looks nicer after printing
      • Last step in Photoshop: Save as tiff with layers
      • Back to InDesign -> Replace image with extension, write `.tiff`
    • Export with X3 profile or similar

With Affinity products I have several problems here:

1. I couldn't find an option to open an image placed in Publisher in Photo
  2. I couldn't find out how to quickly save an image as tiff with keeping layers in Photo so that Photo recognizes that I saved the image (it always wants me to save it in the proprietary Photo format, which I don't want because of vendor-lock-in reasons)
  3. When I resize the image in Photo to, let's say, 260 dpi with a width of 90 mm, it seems that Photo recalculates it to 72 dpi when I export it as tiff... It's really strange, but the images look blurry in Publisher afterwards, also in InDesign (and also the “actual dpi” and width in InDesign is completely off, although I aim for hitting it exactly in the resize dialogue in Photo).
  4. I couldn't find an option in Publisher to replace images by extension

Frankly, I'm pretty open to change this workflow (maybe there's some automation to some steps also). I might be a bit oldschool with that workflow, anyways: If you have any suggestions on how to replace such a workflow in the Affinity universe, I'd very much appreciate that :-) 

I'm also thinking about keeping a Photoshop license, because I wasn't very satisfied with the images I edited for print through Photo, firstly, because of the aforementioned resizing problems, but also because Photoshop seems to be able to apply the filters I need a lot better (shadow/highlight + tone levels). Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Would love to hear about any hints or settings :-) 
(I regularly receive very bad source image, so some magic is necessary to make them work in print ;-))

– Thomas

2 hours ago, Thomas Ebert said:

Example: A simple CMYK brochure, in InDesign:

I recommend buying Zevrix LinkOptimizer for automating these procedures in InDesign. Real time saver with photo heavy documents.

That said, I wish Affinity would add a sharpening routine option to PDF export. As export already resamples and colour separates to CMYK quite adequately only sharpening is missing. (Of course handling this automatic does not give bet possible quality, but most of the time very good though.) If resample + colour sep + sharpen is available as automation in Publisher there will be no need for LinkOptimizer.

I would think opening images from Publisher to Photo will be easy when compatible Photo version will be available.

17 hours ago, Fixx said:

I would think opening images from Publisher to Photo will be easy when compatible Photo version will be available.

And quite possibly unnecessary if the Photo Persona in Publisher turns out to be what some of us think it will be...

19 hours ago, Thomas Ebert said:

I couldn't find out how to quickly save an image as tiff with keeping layers in Photo so that Photo recognizes that I saved the image (it always wants me to save it in the proprietary Photo format, which I don't want because of vendor-lock-in reasons)

Use the export persona in Photo to set up auto-saving a TIFF file.  Your source file will still be the proprietary format, but whenever you modify the document in Photo it will re-export the TIFF file so that you have a non-proprietary copy.  I don't have it in front of me right now to give an exact procedure, but you should be able to have it save a separate file per layer if that is helpful.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:13 PM, Fixx said:

I recommend buying Zevrix LinkOptimizer for automating these procedures in InDesign. Real time saver with photo heavy documents.

Thanks for the hint, but I'm trying to get rid of InDesign... :D 

Oh, I didn't know that there will be an update for Photo to make it more compatible with Publisher – but it makes sense!

On 12/4/2018 at 2:19 PM, fde101 said:

And quite possibly unnecessary if the Photo Persona in Publisher turns out to be what some of us think it will be...

That sounds mysterious and also very promising! :-) (Maybe we could resize and optimize images directly in Publisher – that'd be awesome)

On 12/4/2018 at 2:22 PM, fde101 said:

Use the export persona in Photo to set up auto-saving a TIFF file.  

Cool, that sounds like the right direction. I was able to create an export profile preset in Photo, where I can also set an export dpi value. But how would I tell Photo to always export with this setting, once I hit save on the .afphoto file? Can you help me here?

19 minutes ago, Thomas Ebert said:

But how would I tell Photo to always export with this setting, once I hit save on the .afphoto file?

It actually exports "live" as you are making changes, not just when you save.  The option is called "Continuous" and it is tied to slices, so you would need to define slices for the layers or areas of the image you want to export, then set those to export continuously.

This video tutorial is for Designer but the export persona in Photo works essentially the same way:

On 12/5/2018 at 6:57 PM, fde101 said:

It actually exports "live" as you are making changes, not just when you save.  The option is called "Continuous" and it is tied to slices, so you would need to define slices for the layers or areas of the image you want to export, then set those to export continuously.

This is awesome, thanks! :) You don't even need to create a slice, because the image itself is the default slice.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no option to keep the tiff editable (keeping the layers intact) when exporting slices. :( Maybe I just couldn't find it? There is a dedicated checkbox when using the regular export dialogue...

I don't see that either.

What you can do is create slices from the individual layers and export each layer continuously as a separate image.

Then if you need to pull them into another program later you could stack the layers back up into the correct order.

• 6 months later...