You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page Numbers bug

Inserting Page Numbers works well until Page 9. Then, when a number is composed of 2 digits, the 2 digits are written in the same place, whatever the size of the frame, which gives for some strange page numbering. Is this a bug or are there options to change this?

No problems here on Mac. Are you Mac or Windows? Is this on a master page or are you placing them on each page? What font and paragraph settings do you have (Left Centre Right, space before after, text offsets, etc)? Any offsets in the text frame? Snap to grid on off? Same with baseline grid? Text wrap applied to anything?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

No problems here on Mac. Are you Mac or Windows? Is this on a master page or are you placing them on each page? What font and paragraph settings do you have (Left Centre Right, space before after, text offsets, etc)? Any offsets in the text frame? Snap to grid on off? Same with baseline grid? Text wrap applied to anything?

I am using a Mac. I put the page numbers on a master page, and everything is working fine for each page until page 10. Here is a screenshot of Page 10's number. The font is Arial Regular 12pt. The Paragraph Setting is Left Align, with no space before or after the text. I included two more screenshots with the settings, but I left everything as it were. No text wrap applied.

Capture d’écran 2018-12-03 à 20.30.42.png

Capture d’écran 2018-12-03 à 20.36.46.png

Capture d’écran 2018-12-03 à 20.37.12.png

1 hour ago, Glyphs said:

Here is a screenshot of Page 10's number. The font is Arial Regular 12pt. The Paragraph Setting is Left Align, with no space before or after the text.

Well I tried to replicate it here and all I get are 10 or at text overflow if I make the text frame too small (which you haven't done, lots of space there) for a two digit number. Try typing "Page <space> <page number field>" in the text frame and lets see if the 10 is still borked. If it is try to reset by starting Publisher with the Control key held down to clear the user settings.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Strangely, it seems to work. At first, I tried to type "Page" in the same text field, but I had the same problem as with "10": All the letters were in the same place. Then, I created another text frame entirely, and it works, either with "Page" or with only the page number. I don't know where that bug came from.

2 hours ago, Glyphs said:

Strangely, it seems to work. At first, I tried to type "Page" in the same text field, but I had the same problem as with "10": All the letters were in the same place. Then, I created another text frame entirely, and it works, either with "Page" or with only the page number. I don't know where that bug came from.

In your screenshot of the Character panel, your Kerning is set to (0 %) instead of the default of Auto.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Glyphs said:

I don't know where that bug came from.

Those are a real nuisance. We all get bit by them from time to time.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

In your screenshot of the Character panel, your Kerning is set to (0 %) instead of the default of Auto.

I set mine to that and had no problem, I have frequently done so and experience no ill effects.

Also I messed about with offsets in the text frame and kerning at all sorts of settings and the worst thing that would happen was an overflow of text. No doubling or superimposed letters.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.