You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

crop - move all sides of crop mark together + forum suggestions

i would really like to be able to have the crop move on all sides together sometimes, say if one pressed a control key. it is tedious to have to move every corner separately. it would also be good to be able to choose to emulate the default photoshop behaviour - even though i don't personally like it, i am sure many people are used to it.

separately, though these forums are mechanically pretty good from what i have seen so far, two things could be improved:

1) i cannot search inside a topic or thread only at a global level, or at least, that is the way it seems to me. a more granular search would be very helpful, for instance so that i can tell - easily and quickly - whether anyone else has posted a request like mine or made a similar bug report. this will surely save your developers time.

2) make the 'Notify me of replies' button below default to ON not off! surely there are no worries about GDPR here - and i would have thought that most people in these forums would want to know if their request had been answered.

17 minutes ago, juliand said:

I would really like to be able to have the crop move on all sides together sometimes

Cropping already works that way if you have chosen a ratio-based crop.

17 minutes ago, juliand said:

1) i cannot search inside a topic or thread only at a global level, or at least, that is the way it seems to me.

In a desktop browser (not a phone) open the forum you want to search in, click on the search box, enter your search terms, and then in the search options below the search box you can restrict the search to the current forum.

20 minutes ago, juliand said:

2) make the 'Notify me of replies' button below default to ON not off! surely there are no worries about GDPR here - and i would have thought that most people in these forums would want to know if their request had been answered

Though it's not the default, you can set that in your Account Settings, under Notification Settings, if you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

juliand said:

I would really like to be able to have the crop move on all sides together sometimes

walt.farrellCropping already works that way if you have chosen a ratio-based crop.

jd: unfortunately, it does not work that way for me, whatever i do. if i want the result i am looking for, either i have to push in on a corner then move the whole crop, or do one corner then the the opposite corner. it is tedious and time-wasting.

imo, notify should be on by default. this should be true of every forum - why would someone go to the trouble of posting a question and then not want to hear the reply?

2 hours ago, juliand said:

unfortunately, it does not work that way for me, whatever i do. if i want the result i am looking for, either i have to push in on a corner then move the whole crop, or do one corner then the the opposite corner. it is tedious and time-wasting.

You said previously that you want all the sides of the crop box to move at the same time. When you select a ratio-based crop mode, and then push on one corner, what you asked for is exactly what happens. All four sides move appropriately, to keep that option.

However, it sounds like that's not all you want? Are you also asking for the crop box to automatically center on the image?

That's the only way I can think of that you wouldn't have to move the box after you size it, but even then that assumes that one wants to crop from the middle. I often find that I don't want to do that, as cropping to the sizes I use often involves some recomposition as my image size and my paper size aren't proportional to each other.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1