You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

cropping - no presets & no way to add them

in Crop > Mode, there are no longer any presets and apparently no way to create them. i hope this is just temporary, because this is pretty vital for a quick workflow. 

also, where can i post feature requests? i would really like to be able to have the crop move on all sides together sometimes, say if one pressed a control key. it is tedious to have to move every corner separately. 

• Staff

Hi juliand,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Crop Presets are now managed/created clicking the small cog icon in the context toolbar (with the Crop Tool selected), then clicking on the small menu icon on the top right of the pop-up that will appear.

For suggestion/feedback, please create a new thread in the Suggestions for Affinity Photo on Desktop section.

thank you for such a quick response.

as you suggest, i have found and tried the cog and its dropdown, seen lots of splendid presets, including just the one i want, but i am utterly unable to select it or apply it. i have clicked the small menu icon at the top right, but it just opens a slightly larger version of the dropdown, and still i cannot select anything. is there a video showing how this is supposed to work, please?

many thanks for letting me know! i shall stop struggling with this one for now, though unfortunately the reason i turned to the beta in the first place (apart from general interest and keenness) is that i am having trouble with the crop mode presets in the main stable release and i was hoping that i could get the job done in the beta. sadly, it looks like i am stymied both ways at the moment.

i have posted a bug report in the stable release section of the forum with the topic title 'Photo 1.6.5.135: unable to delete user-created preset', but it has not been accepted yet. 

41 minutes ago, MEB said:

It's not working for me on Windows either (but works fine on Mac). This issue is already logged to be looked at and should be fixed in one of the upcoming beta builds.

Is there anywhere where we can see the changes explained? There are changes in the levels, the crop, HSL and a lot more

Where can we find that?

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• Staff

Hi Rick G,
Since the Crop Tool as well as the other features you mentioned are new in version 1.7 the documentation/help file is still being completed/worked on while we are on Beta. The final/retail release will include re-written help topics covering all changes and I'm sure there will also be new video-tutorials explaining how to use them.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi Rick G,
Since the Crop Tool as well as the other features you mentioned are new in version 1.7 the documentation/help file is still being completed/worked on while we are on Beta. The final/retail release will include re-written help topics covering all changes and I'm sure there will also be new video-tutorials explaining how to use them.

Ok Thanks

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We hope this issue will be fixed in the next beta to be released in this forum.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, fde101 said:

January at the earliest - that was already stated in the post for the one that was released today.

is there a email newsletter or alert available so that i can find out when new affinity beta releases happen? 

2 minutes ago, fde101 said:

January at the earliest - that was already stated in the post for the one that was released today.

That was a statement for Publisher whose latest beta was released today.

The most recent Photo beta for Windows was Nov. 23.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

30 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That was a statement for Publisher whose latest beta was released today.

The most recent Photo beta for Windows was Nov. 23.

i have the nov 23 photo beta, but i didn't know about the new publisher beta, so thanks for that (hugely grateful that there is a heavyweight, budget alternative to InDesign). i still wish there was some kind of alert i could sign up to find out when new betas or new versions were released by Affinity. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, juliand said:

thx, patrick. any idea when the next beta will be released? 

I think the next Windows photo beta is unlikely to be this side of Christmas (unless it comes tomorrow) as I think Mark is due to take a well earned rest

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

21 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I think the next Windows photo beta is unlikely to be this side of Christmas (unless it comes tomorrow) as I think Mark is due to take a well earned rest

No rest :D

revolving dessert case.gif

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Just to check if Crop presets are still not available with Photo 1.7.1

Amazing that we are not able to create presets.

Thanks

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

34 minutes ago, DesignT said:

Hi,

Just to check if Crop presets are still not available with Photo 1.7.1

Amazing that we are not able to create presets.

Thanks

The question about creating crop presets was answered in the 2nd post in this thread: You create the crop settings you want, then click on the cog icon and use the hamburger menu to create the preset. There was a bug that caused some problems on Windows, but that was fixed some time ago.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi walt.farrell,

Maybe I am missing something because I could not choose "create set" it´s grey.

Please take a look in the attached images.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 20.14.43.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 20.13.24.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 20.14.55.png

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

14 minutes ago, DesignT said:

Maybe I am missing something because I could not choose "create set" it´s grey.

Once you have setup the crop you want, you should find the "create preset" will be active. Did you set it up first?

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.