You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multipage PDF import

HI,

I'm not up to date with the betas, -what's done what coming - but I've been playing with the app after each release so excuse me if I'm asking for stuff not there yet:

Multipage PDF import - is it possible already, I can't seem to find an option to pick any other page from PDF than page 1.

Also when I import my PDF into blank page, without an empty frame being selected it gets embedded, instead of linked and I cannot crop/resize its frame separate from the pdf itself.

Love the progress of the app so far, can't wait for the final version :17_heart_eyes:

• Staff

Hi redlik,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You can import single pages and/or ranges if you use File ▸ Open instead of File ▸ Place (or dragging the PDF file to the canvas).

10 minutes ago, redlik said:

Also when I import my PDF into blank page, without an empty frame being selected it gets embedded, instead of linked and I cannot crop/resize its frame separate from the pdf itself.

When there's no frame selected the PDF file is placed directly as an embedded document into the canvas. This is by design. Same happens with images which are placed as Image layers.

4 minutes ago, redlik said:

Make sense now. It's hard to drop old habits from the app we don't mention....

If you mean ID or Q as regards to page selection when in the import/place dialog, then go right ahead and mention it...it's how APub ought to be.

If you mean placing/importing an entire PDF, that also available in Q via an XTension and/or JS and via a script for ID. This capability ought to be in APub, too.

Unless font embedding can be implemented the idea of importing a lot of pages from a PDF sounds like a recipe for disaster. If there were to be a missing font warning that might make it useful.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

I would love to replace ID someday but I know it will be hard and bumpy road. I also remember using inDesign at version 1 without many, many features we have now that's why I'm looking forward to the development of the Publisher. Would love to have all the features of InDesign at v.1 but also I like how they the app takes a slightly different approach then just cloning InDesign.

8 minutes ago, Willy Pimentel said:

I did.  You cannot save/export multiple pages..  

must do it one by one

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 1.27.44 PM.png

That screenshot is Designer 1.6, not Publisher Beta which this thread is about. But, you can select the artboards you want to export, then in Export, choose 'Area > Selection with (or without) background' and just the selected artboards will be exported.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.