On 8/12/2019 at 7:31 AM, garrettm30 said:

If you don't mind this tangent, I would like to add my comments to your statement that "the Bible is the most demanding book to typeset." Most of our other projects I have been attempting to do in Affinity Publisher with various workarounds when needed, but Publisher is not ready for the Bible project for these reasons in my view:

1. Drop caps limitations, as in the current thread
  2. Lack of text variables based on style - for creating automatic running headers
  3. No multiline composer
  4. Lack of "book" feature - that is, being able to have a long publication split into several separate but coordinated documents

We would have to add lack of footnotes as a limitation, but fortunately we are not using footnotes in this edition.

The amount of work necessary to work around these limitations would be enormous on a publication this large (just nearly 1500 pages).

Thanks garrettm30. I wholeheartedly agree the current limitations would mean an enormous amount of work, but it does not mean they are insurmountable.  Without a need for text variables or multiline composer, it can be done. 

On 8/11/2019 at 9:48 AM, Tourmaline said:

Use the A (artistic text tool) and type in 1. Use the Drop cap on the 1. Artisitc tool 5 and drop cap and artictic tool 0 Drop cap, all same size. With alignment you can align the way you like. All 3 digits same size. You can group them.

Thank you Tourmaline.  Admittedly, I am new to Affinity Publisher, so I don't know what I don't know.  What I've done so far is use the Text Tool to add a number 1-150 and then align it to the left and lower grid line of the corresponding text.  Is this harder or easier than your recommendation?  I'm happy to try anything.

On 7/4/2019 at 3:29 AM, Lagarto said:

Here's similar effect tried to be achieved in Publisher: the upper paragraph uses dropped caps 2 lines high, the French quotation mark is correctly recognized but the apostrophe following the "L" cannot be included

If you don't have a lot of these, you could try adding the drop cap part as artistic text and pinning it?  Granted it's even more work but it just might be a way to get the effect you are looking for in the interim...

On 8/14/2019 at 6:46 PM, garrettm30 said:

I have already had a couple times where I have spent about five minutes on a single paragraph that I could never get quite to my satisfaction, whereas with the paragraph composer I nigh on never have spacing as bad as what I pointed out at the bottom of my sample in the single-line side. I do get it rather often in Publisher.

This is continuing an off topic discussion but I could not resist on commenting this. I think the usefulness of paragraph composing depends much on the language, and also efficacy of the hyphenation algorithm. French has long words, but it also has articles, prepositions and short words to allow some room for alternative compositions. My mother tongue, Finnish is quite hopeless with long compound words and no articles and prepositions, so there is really no going back and use single line composer. That said, it is always a great pain to need to edit the text (e.g., change hyphenation), as that often means recomposition of the whole paragraph. Basically I use single-line compose only with jobs where I know beforehand that there will be much editing once the basicl layout is accomplished.

But mediocre hyphenation algorithm combined with absence of paragraph composer makes use of Affinity Publisher a hard choice for narrow-column long-text book jobs in Finnish language.

EDIT: Forgot to add that you are in an exceptional position with Bible publshing that you're not likely to get edits in the text that is once already carefully typeset so it is really a no brainer choice to use the paragraph composer  :-)