You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New font installed does not show up in Photo or Designer

I’ve loaded a new ttf font (from Dafont.com) - it shows up in word processor app, and Profiles, does not appear in iPad Designer or Photo fonts list. I’ve loaded many fonts from this source, never had this problem. I’ve restarted apps, I rebooted pad, deleted profile and reinstalled - no help. 

This is a quote/reply from Alfred on this forum to the same question I had weeks ago.

Bahnschrift is a variable font. This is a relatively new kind of font (where multiple styles are defined within a single font file instead of each style being defined in a separate file) and the Affinity apps don’t yet support them.

Is your font a variable font?

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

29 minutes ago, Greg Hartwick said:

It’s an old cartoon like font (‘Keep On Truckin’)

I’ve downloaded and installed it here — groovy, baby! — and I can confirm that it doesn’t show up in the Affinity for iPad apps. It works as expected in the Windows desktop versions of the apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

One more thing for the puzzle. I said it worked in a word processor (Pages), so I typed a couple of letters, copied them to the clipboard, and then pasted it into an Affinity Photo file. Surprise, it works in a Photo file (the name appears in the font window). So, I’ve got a ‘work-around ‘ but I hate not knowing why it’s still not on the list. This does not work for Designer (surprise?).

51 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’ve downloaded and installed it here — groovy, baby! — and I can confirm that it doesn’t show up in the Affinity for iPad apps. It works as expected in the Windows desktop versions of the apps.

Alfred, it may be it needs fixing, date and all the other metadata. I don't have an iAnything to try.

You've got FC. Maybe try?

33 minutes ago, Greg Hartwick said:

One more thing for the puzzle. I said it worked in a word processor (Pages), so I typed a couple of letters, copied them to the clipboard, and then pasted it into an Affinity Photo file. Surprise, it works in a Photo file (the name appears in the font window). So, I’ve got a ‘work-around ‘ but I hate not knowing why it’s still not on the list. This does not work for Designer (surprise?).

Pasting works in Photo, but the name doesn’t appear where it should when I scroll down the list; ‘Paste Style’ should also work, but it has no effect. I can confirm that none of the above works in Designer, where all of the pasting options are greyed out.

11 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Alfred, it may be it needs fixing, date and all the other metadata. I don't have an iAnything to try.

I’m on my iPad at the moment, Mike, but I’ll take a look next time I’m back on my Windows machine.

Alfred spacer.png

21 hours ago, MikeW said:

21 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’m on my iPad at the moment, Mike, but I’ll take a look next time I’m back on my Windows machine.

Well, FC turned up a few validation errors, but nothing serious. However, the PANOSE data looks decidedly odd:

PANOSE_KeepOnTruckin.png.843bb576d0facb724fdd434a4702fe21.png

Here's the PANOSE data for Weedy Beasties NF:

PANOSE_WeedyBeastiesNF.png.704f7ce5d64a9b0c593bb3296dfc78c5.png

Update: Applying the PANOSE settings from Weedy Beasties NF to a copy of Keep on Truckin’ FW gives me a font which is usable in the Affinity on iPad apps.

Edited by αℓƒяє∂
Added new information

Alfred spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Greg Hartwick said:

Alfred, thank you very much!

You’re very welcome, Greg. :)

It works perfectly in both apps.

Glad to hear it (albeit not particularly surprised, since I found the same).

So, it was a ‘defective’ font file (or is it an Affinity issue?).

It was defective: as you can see from my screenshot, not only were there zeroes for most of the entries which should define various characteristics of the font, but the ‘Weight’ entry was completely blank. It seems that some apps cope with such defects more gracefully than others!

Does this happen very often?

Not in my experience (or yours, apparently).

I’ve been downloading fonts from dafont for years.

Me too. B|

Alfred spacer.png