You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying too merge 117 images that were shot in a grid pattern of flat artwork with about a 30% overlap in 13 columns and 9 rows. I am testing various stitching/panorama softwares to see what does best. It should be a rectangle.

Photoshop is OK but not perfect.
Autopano is OK but not perfect.
Many others are just plain terrible.

So when I try in Affinity Photo I get what is attached here, terrible.

Suggestions?

Image.jpeg

There are various panorama-stitching algorithms. Photoshop offers you a range of possibilities. Autopano allows some manipulation of the method, but Affinity Photo does neither. The algorithm it uses is not revealed. It would seem that it does not suit your set of images.

Why did you take so many images? I have successfully stitched a set of 12 images in a 4×3 grid which covered the same sort of scope as yours.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I would have thought Autopano would have been your best bet. Another option is Hugin which is open source.

Thinking laterally, have you tried using some of the images to make micro sized pano's and then using the created micro sized pano's to make the complete pano

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Autopano did a decent job, I still had to retouch a few places but it certainly did it the best. I have tried doing sections, sort of works but still not perfect.

Photoshop CS4 has a feature in it's Photomerge that lets it attempt to merge and if it could not you can move the pieces around manually, but it was removed after that version and never put in again. No idea why they removed such a handy feature. I still have it and tried it but keeps crashing with that many images, CS4 was never designed for such large files.