You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use construction snapping?

Affinity Designer 1.7.0.188 offers construction snapping, but, try as I might, I couldn't find any possibility to use it on a German Windows 7 (64bit):

1. It is easy to draw new construction elements like points, lines and circles. When using, e.g., the pen tool, I can nicely see all these construction elements.
  2. But I could not find out how to use these construction elements ind order to, e.g., draw a line that is perpendicular to either another line or to a construction line (or a circle, for that matter). I can switch on snap to construction elements, but no useful snapping takes place. How to tell the software that I want to snap to a perpendicular or a tangent?

I am used to such construction helpers since 1992 and have used numerous CAD tools since then, but apparently, Affinity does it quite differently, and I couldn't find out how (it doesn't appear to be obvious to me). The already mentioned link to a Mac forum didn't help me, and I couldn't find this topic in the help, either. Can anybody tell me? Thanks.

Andreas Weidner

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Andreas,

I appreciate the help isn't quite translated into German yet, however have you tried looking at the Design Aids > Construction Snapping for Curves help topic? Essentially they're there to help you snap nodes and handles to, rather than entire objects - they're only available for the curve editing tools. 

If you have a look through that to see if it helps any more! Any further issues then let us know, so we can try to further improve the help! :) 

Thanks!

Err, I don't think there is any such Design Aids > Construction Snapping for Curves section in the English help either...

I figured it out from what you said about it, but the feature needs explanation, diagrams, and clarity, thanks...

In particular, such things as @anweid asks, such as drawing a line perpendicular to a construction item would be helpful.

• Staff
49 minutes ago, GarryP said:

On my copy of 1.7.0.188 - in English - (on Windows 10) I see the attached menu structure.
Note also that searching for "construction" gives no result and the initial Help screen shows the version as 1.6.0.

Thanks Garry. I presume you're application region (or Windows region) is set to English (United States). Currently the Help has not been translated so this would be why you're not seeing that article. You could switch the app language in the time being to English (United Kingdom) to get the latest help files to appear.

34 minutes ago, haakoo said:

@Sean P In my win version 1.7.0.188 it is under design aids
But the online version doesn't 
Maybe edit the online version prior to release, to point at it for faster referencing.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/index.html

The online version HAS to reflect the current version that is available through both our store and the Mac App Store, so this will always remain at 1.6 until we release 1.7 to the store at which point that will get updated.
For the Beta you will have to use the in app help I'm afraid, which is very much still work in progress!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.