You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Simple grids cannot be defined anymore

Affinity Designer 1.7.0.188 on a German Windows 7 (64bit) behaves as follows:

1. When showing the grid & axis manager and using automatic mode, the unnecessary edit fields for distance and subdivisions are shown, but are disabled.
  2. When using simple mode, the above mentioned edit fields are completely invisible, making it impossible to set up a simple grid.

It would be better if the dialog behaved again as in previous versions.

Andreas Weidner

Automatic is a fixed grid. Yes, it seems odd that the unchangeable spacind and divisions boxes are shown; they should be shown during Basic mode, as they are ignored in Advanced mode and have no effect there.

A Basic grid will use the specifications shown when Automatic is selected. Those specifications can be set in Advanced mode, so it's not really true that a Basic grid can't be set up. It just has to be set up using Advanced mode if the existing settings are not appropriate.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I agree to your first paragraph where you claim 'the boxes [...] should be shown during Basic mode'. Yes, but if you look at the video, they are not shown in Basic mode.

For your second paragraph, I strongly disagree: Please take a look at Affinity Designer 1.6.x, which does it correctly:

1. In the previous version, automatic mode shows the edit fields, but keeps them disabled (as 1.7.0.188), which is OK.
  2. But using simple mode (or basic, I don't know how this is called in English, because I just see German texts) shows the two edit fields and lets you edit them. That is exactly the correct behaviour.

What would be the use of a basic grid if the user cannot change its settings, but has to go to advanced grid to change them, or to automatic grid to see the settings? The settings for the basic grid should be done in the basic grid as previously, and not in the advanced grid, otherwise nobody would need a basic grid anymore. Setting up a nice grid in version 1.6.x is so wonderful, but in 1.7.0.188, it does not work anymore. Please revert to the old wonderful behaviour, which is much more logical and intuitive than the current beta state (which I still consider a bug and not a feature).

Andreas Weidner

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.