You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

problem with expand stroke....

8 hours ago, Chris_K said:

Hi grapher

As you've seen it is something we are aware of and has been an outstanding issue for some time unfortunately. I'm not even going to give a prediction of a timescale on this one for obvious reasons, but it's not forgotten!

That is.. for the lack of a better word -- kind of a shitty response. Expanding a stroke is quite a basic command and often used, after 3 years and it's still broken, will it ever be fixed I wonder. Not asking, just pondering.

I realize this is much more than a bug. Its a low level issue and as such can take a really long time to refactor in a way that does'nt break everything else. 

My hope is that with 1.7, they are laying down the foundations for getting this finally fixed. Right guys? :)

Would love to see this working better. Expand is probably my most used feature in Illustrator as I do a lot of freehand inking.

Set up if required for reference: 

Intel i7 3.07GHz · 18GB DDR3 · HDD: 2x500GB · Nvidia GTX 750Ti 2048 - Dell U2515H (main) · Nvidia GTX 750 1048 - Cintiq 24HD (secondary) · Windows 10 (64) ·  Portable: Surface Pro 2 256GB

4 hours ago, Laureen said:

Hello, hopefully this gets fixed soon! Is there any workaround in the meantime for this? ... I really need to get my icon set out today and this is blocking me :'(

Hi Laureen,

From what I know there is a method that can work for you:
1 - Select the strokes you want to expand and in the Stroke panel check "Scale with object"
2 - Increase the size of the icons (for example from 50px x 50px to 1000px x 1000px)
3 - Expand strokes
4 - Scale back the icons to their original size.

I hope it will help you.

14 hours ago, Radu F said:

Hi Laureen,

From what I know there is a method that can work for you:
1 - Select the strokes you want to expand and in the Stroke panel check "Scale with object"
2 - Increase the size of the icons (for example from 50px x 50px to 1000px x 1000px)
3 - Expand strokes
4 - Scale back the icons to their original size.

I hope it will help you.

Hi Radu,

Thanks so much! that worked for me :)

On 12/6/2018 at 12:39 PM, MEB said:

Hi JokeRat,
This happens when you expand strokes with a very small width (try expanding the stroke of a circle with 2pt width and you will see the issue).

Wrong. This is also an issue with bigger strokes, just not visible at eye level, it is otherwise still there.
How do I know? Here:
1. Make a filled circle (no stroke). Any size.
2. Duplicate it and flip it from fill to stroke (so it has no fill but it has a stroke), set it to be on the inside and set it to any width as long as it doesn't cover the whole circle.
3. Expand the stroke of the stroke circle. Nothing wrong with it right?
4. Select both circles, have the stroke circle on top of the fill circle and select minus front. Switch to node tool and behold all the points that are on the edge of the big previous circle and on the inside where the stroke expanded so chaotically it created tons of points/nodes.

This is unacceptable and I find this behaviour disappointing. I always feel a bit ashamed when I recommend affinity to other people and I have to tell them that such a basic function is broken.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

• Staff

Hi blureshadow,
True. Expanding the stroke doesn't use the default (minimal) nodes that define the shape/path. This is a know issue that was logged and discussed in several threads, however the deformation is more visible at small sizes as you noticed and the OP showed as an example in his first post which is the reason I gave it as an example for JokeRat to reproduce.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 4:09 PM, grapher said:

Chris... not forgotten... 3 YEARS ???? Cmon... in that time serif developed whole ipad app, and had not time to repair such basic function as expand is? 

Bah.

Money is definitely a factor here. Repairing bugs doesn't earn you money. Hyped up iPad users with their "bionic processors" do...

On 1/11/2019 at 8:06 AM, Duskolo said:

Money is definitely a factor here. Repairing bugs doesn't earn you money. Hyped up iPad users with their "bionic processors" do...

You can always go back to Adobe and rent their software, with bugs and all. I got CC2019 installed on my pc and it's really sslloooowwww....

15 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

You can always go back to Adobe and rent their software, with bugs and all. I got CC2019 installed on my pc and it's really sslloooowwww....

... Is that an argument for not having such bug repaired for more than 3years? No. To be honest, Duskolo made good point.

It is incredible that Designer ( and maybe Photo and Publisher ) CAN zoom up to 1 Million percent. while keeping every single detail in all the shapes ( curves and strait lines ).

But it can not expand correctly a "small" ( or relative small ) stroke !!!???

Even with the latest beta !!! :35_thinking:

Please Affinity... Fix it already.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.