You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Png files exported to Spine are not transparent

Hi,

I am creating some images for Spine Esoteric.

Spine accepts png images and after trying many - many combinations in the export settings, I cannot find a way to export transparency.

All transparent parts from the image are replaced with white. I tried png24, png8, checked transparency in the document settings, used different Matte color options, nothing works.

Can you please help me?

Kind regards,

Ippokratis

[Edit] A workaround is to save from affinity as exr and use a png converter to create the needed png files, but I would prefer to be able to save png with proper transparency.

• Staff

Hi Ippokratis :)

When exporting a PNG, please make sure the Matte option remains unchecked, this will ensure your transparency is retained.

I've exported an image using the PNG24 preset, and the transparency is retained when saved to my Photos library. Unfortunately I don't have Spine to test the image there, however I've included a screen recording showing the image and export below, along with the PNG I've exported for you to test.

PNG Download - https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyir1jg9sys2zaj/IMG_0003.png?dl=0

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi DanC,

Thanks for your feedback and for trying to help.

The image you send me cannot be imported in Spine (because its resolution is 6000x4000 with 64bits depth and 122Mb size).

I have tried another image using the settings you are suggesting, when imported into Spine it displays a png where all transparent pixels are white.

In Unity, using these settings the transparency is preserved but there is a white halo around the opaque parts, I can opt to though to use exr or psd or png with black  Matte - export options that display transparency as expected.

In Spine, the only format that supports transparency is png - and pngs from Affinity Photo does not work. It is very nice that Affinity Photo supports the Spine json format (this lets you assemble the spine skeleton using minimal effort) but without proper png export I have a thorn in the workflow (I need to use another program as described above).

If you wish to test it for yourself, the Spine Trial is here http://esotericsoftware.com/spine-download and the workflow to diaplay an image is described in this video, from 0:15 to 2:30.

Kind reagards,

Ippokratis

• Staff

No problem at all, I've downloaded and installed the trial version of Spine and I unfortunately can't replicate your PNG issues. I've exported 2 pngs from the iPad version of Affinity Photo, and 1 from the desktop, all at varying sizes and DPI. 

Each image has imported successfully with transparency, although it does appear that partial transparency is not compatible, which can cause a 'glow' around the image.

As can be seen below, each of the PNGs are correctly transparent, all exports were done using the PNG24 preset.

image.png

Could you possibly provide your Affinity file, or your PNGs to the following link, so I can test these directly?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/hvuPi9TSlD5j2y3okBQr

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)