km.au

Great software, but why the odd workflow choices?

Affinity is great, but moving back to Photoshop, the workflow is so much better I find. 

Why is it that in Affinity, the "B" shortcut which is one of the most used tools in the software, doesn't actually lead ot the brush tool but circulates through a number of other tools?

It's incredibly frustrating to press the "b" key expecting the brush, but you sit there painting away and Affinity has toggled through another tool that's not often used. It's very frustrating user experience. 

The last one that's extremely frustrating and the reason I went back to Photoshop is why do the tools not remember the settings? The defaults for the clone tool is set to Current Layer but every single time I ahve to select "Current Layer and Below" as well as a couple of other settings. It got to the point, where all the tools have to be changed every session that I'd rather go back to Photoshop because it's less of an issue. 

Sorry to be frank and savage in this post, but I really do hope the developers consider this for day to day use. I understand the B shortcut can be changed, but PLEASE consider saving the tools so they are customised for the user every session - it's such a dealbreaker. I don't want to have to set them up every single time! 

I secound this..

the idea of course is you can toggle throug other tools..    But....   but you dont want this... you allway have to look to the left side to see if you selected the right tool..

should be changed... 

5 minutes ago, Tom Schülke said:

I secound this..

the idea of course is you can toggle throug other tools..    But....   but you dont want this... you allway have to look to the left side to see if you selected the right toll..

should be changed... 

You can change the shortcuts yourself so that B is only the Brush tool, if that improves your workflow. 

However, you would still need to be aware of whether you already have the Brush, or some other tool, selected. If you already have the Brush selected, and you press B, you would return to the previous tool you were using.

(By the way, I believe this thread belongs in the general feature requests section, not the beta section.)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.221 Beta

Hi Walt,  

As a professional you might change the shortcut. you are right.  problem is, most arnt proessionals in using such software.. they use it on a occasionaly basis.  so in my company, my collegues work with 10 further softwarepackages like Revit, Rhino, and so on, and use Publisher rather sometimes when producing as on step in a long walk, for example a A3 Brochure..  they will never change presets in any way.   

So wether i find a way to do this and distribute it over the network simultaniously for 300 Architects, or everyone who expects another behaviour will be anoyed..  as i was..   i think this would be better in another setup. 

On 12/2/2018 at 1:58 AM, km.au said:

Affinity is great, ... The last one that's extremely frustrating ... is why do the tools not remember the settings? The defaults for the clone tool is set to Current Layer but every single time I have to select "Current Layer and Below" as well as a couple of other settings. It got to the point, where all the tools have to be changed every session that I'd rather go back to Photoshop because it's less of an issue. 

Sorry to be frank and savage in this post, but I really do hope the developers consider this for day to day use. ... PLEASE consider saving the tools so they are customised for the user every session - it's such a dealbreaker. I don't want to have to set them up every single time! 

I totally totally agree with this comment... Serif, yes please, do something... but most of all, I dislike renting apps.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 32 Go

4 hours ago, Pattou said:

I totally totally agree with this comment... Serif, yes please, do something... but most of all, I dislike renting apps.

Amen

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 17134)
Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40Ghz
16GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (2 displays connected @ 1x1080p; 1x4K)
WACOM Intuos4 Large

On 1/8/2019 at 3:53 PM, Tom Schülke said:

Hi Walt,  

As a professional you might change the shortcut. you are right.  problem is, most arnt proessionals in using such software.. they use it on a occasionaly basis.  so in my company, my collegues work with 10 further softwarepackages like Revit, Rhino, and so on, and use Publisher rather sometimes when producing as on step in a long walk, for example a A3 Brochure..  they will never change presets in any way.   

So wether i find a way to do this and distribute it over the network simultaniously for 300 Architects, or everyone who expects another behaviour will be anoyed..  as i was..   i think this would be better in another setup. 

From which source do you get that most Affinity users are not professionals? I am one, I use the tools. I'd be interested in a link to prove that, as data. I mean, not that anyone needs to do so (not you nor anyone) but I mention it as am reading this lately... " is not for professionals ", and "is not being used by professionals" . I must be transparent, invisible too. Me and a bunch I know around here... And yup, both AP and AD are great for professional use.

I know PS and AI inside out. Decades. And am here....

And yeah, any pro changes the shortcuts. Heck, my boss, last company, she was in charge of the marketing department, made a lot of stuff herself, but certainly not a pro in image editing. Not even close. Yet she'd change her shortcuts in any program that would worth it to do so. I'm not saying everyone must do the thing I do of even having X-Mouse Button Control to even "hack" the situation, and make each app behave with my own set of shortcuts+mouse action, but setting your own preferences in an app ? Pretty basic stuff, imo... I wouldn't call that exclusive "pro knowledge"... Pro would be knowing very well how to prepare a file for print, or advanced retouching, etc.

I solved the brush "B" issue long ago, in preferences. The "not remembering settings" is a slow down, I recon it, it has less of a solution, but definitely (in pro activities, even), not a full show stopper. (one of the cases of : You get a lot more in the positive plate, to compensate)

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz. 4c/8t, 8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda.
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x ....AMAZING. Getting there for painting. But "ALT" color picking needs LOVE. It's now the only show-stopper for painting. PLEASE give it LOVE ;) .
Or your coding magic.