You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked external file/image not work?

As i understand it, the file with "Linked" picture, should be sized as an empty file.

Both options work as "Embed".

Replace.png

Emb.png

4 minutes ago, telemax said:

the file with "Linked" picture, should be sized as an empty file.

Are you talking about the on-disk size of the .afdesign file?

If so, it can never be empty.

I hope, eventually, to see the files become significantly smaller when linking is used. But at this point in the 1.7 beta process embedding vs linking does not provide a smaller file size. It provides other benefits, but not a size reduction.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you talking about the on-disk size of the .afdesign file?

Yes.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If so, it can never be empty.

File only with linked picture, and without any objects.

7 minutes ago, telemax said:

File only with linked picture, and without any objects.

Even then, it can never be empty. It will always need some header data to identify the type of file (as a .afdesign, or .afphoto, or whatever), some metadata about the file content, and in your case a link to the linked file.

It could be much smaller than today, if Serif chooses to implement linking that way for the final release version of 1.7, but never empty.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Of course I understand that. An empty file .afdesign has a size of 7 KB. I meant a file without other objects, but with a link to an image.

3 hours ago, Sean P said:

Linked should not be available in Designer just yet, so I will get it passed on to development to remove this option from the dialog.

It's also available in Photo and Designer 1.6.5.123 on Windows, Sean. Click Replace Image, and near the bottom of the file dialog (just above the input box) there are options to embed or link the file.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.