You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

After clicking "Replace image" there are two options. Embed Picture and Link Picture. What's different?

Replace.png

Emb.png

Not sure which tool you mean, aka if maybe an APhoto beta etc. - However I would assume here as the used names read, that Embed would embed or place the image inside the document, where Link instead would hold/point to an external file reference of an image. - In other words, the one keeps the image internal the other external!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

In other words, the one keeps the image internal the other external!

I was really hoping for that.

But both options work as internal image. Linked external file/image not work. Maybe it's a bug.

Thanks!

Don't know maybe, where do you see these option, I mean in which tool and version?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Just now, v_kyr said:

Don't know maybe, where do you see these option, I mean in which tool and version?

AD/AP 1.6.5. 135

Place image in the document,

select image,

press Replace image button (top panel)

screen.PNG

Hmm strange, I'm actually on a Mac and there the APh 1.6.7 version doesn't show these options when pressing/using the replace image button, instead just a file select box appears. - However, maybe the APh 1.7.0.xxx betas do now again support that (?).

Also, i try it on beta 1.7 for windows. Also not working. Both files are the same size.

In theory, the file with "Linked" image, should be sized as an empty file.

6 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Hmm strange, I'm actually on a Mac and there the APh 1.6.7 version doesn't show these options when pressing/using the replace image button, instead just a file select box appears. - However, maybe the APh 1.7.0.xxx betas do now again support that (?).

I don't see any embed/link options using Photo or Designer 1.6.5.123 (which should be functionally the same as .135). Those options are only in the 1.7 betas as far as I know.

Even in the 1.7 betas, I do not see any options directly associated with that while replacing an image. There is the prompt (sometimes) to link images rather than embedding them, and Document Setup has the option to prefer linked vs embedded. But nothing specific when replacing one.

(Publisher beta, of course, has the Resource Manager which allows changing individual images.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, telemax said:

Also, i try it on beta 1.7 for windows. Also not working. Both files are the same size.

Yes, that's true for the current 1.7 beta versions. Only the Serif team know how it will eventually work.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

8 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

The Replace Image button in the context toolbar appears after a File > Place

Yes, but there's no indication of an embed vs link setting for it. Several of us are reacting (or at least, I am), to @telemax's comment that

After clicking "Replace image" there are two options. Embed Picture and Link Picture.

I do not see those, in any of the 1.6 or 1.7 beta versions.

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

When clicking on Replace Image  the  Embed picture or Link picture are Windows displayed  options

I still don't see anything like that. Can you provide a screenshot?

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, HVDB Photography said:

When clicking on Replace Image  the  Embed picture or Link picture are Windows displayed  options

So it's probably an OS UI related selection panel (embed or link) here for the sort of file browsing to initate and perform then. Further it sounds like actually the code or the functionality behind it isn't fully implemented yet in this beta state.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I still don't see anything like that. Can you provide a screenshot?

Those options are located bottom left of the Open dialog after clicking on Replace Image. (Windows OS)

embed-link image.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Those options are located bottom left of the Open dialog after clicking on Replace Image. (Windows OS)

Thanks. I never noticed them.

They are present (on Windows) in all 3 applications, in both the 1.6 and 1.7 versions.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi,

the difference is, an embedded picture looses his connection to the original, a linked picture stays in contact. This is very usefull, if you want to place a picture more than once (f.e. a logo) or you want to retouch the picture. Indesign or Quark XPress are working that way. These programs are showing a preview and stores the link to the original file. I can place hundreds of GB of pictures, but the file size increases not that much. Last month i have been working at a catalog with 1.200 pictures, app. 210 GB, and the filesize of my indesign document was 240 MB.

Unfortunately Affinity Publisher is embedding even the linked file including the complete file size of each picture. My first Publisher project is a calender: 12 .afphoto pictures between 180 and 360 MB, 2,5 GB all together. The publisher file ist 2,4 GB and I need to place all pictures again on the titel….

I hope Serif will fix this in the final version. 

Have fun
Michael

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

Mac Mini M1 | Big Sur 11.2.3 | Affinity Publisher, Designer, Photo 1.9.2

6 minutes ago, Michael_ said:

Unfortunately Affinity Publisher is embedding even the linked file including the complete file size of each picture...

As said before I assume here the code or the functionality behind linked in files isn't fully implemented yet in the actual beta state. Usually linked in images should be loaded in dynamically from the referenced location during runtime then, when a document that contains these is opened inside the appropriate tool.