You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fault with printing PNG graphics

After inserting PNG graphics into an Affinity Photo file, when I come to printing it's leaving a grey background. 

I have tried to save the graphic as a Jpeg and it prints fine. 

I could really do with the graphics in PNG to retain the transparent background.

Please see image attached.

Thank you

PNG print test.jpg

6 hours ago, NileshV said:

I could really do with the graphics in PNG to retain the transparent background.

In Affinity Photo, is "Transparent Background" enabled in the Document menu?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

printed the png with transparent background on a hp  8610 

i'm not getting the grey parts.

a photocopy of the printout:

330018-120218.thumb.jpg.70a2733d11274977e389f0b98eb000aa.jpg

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Hiya,

Thank you so much for trying this. It's very kind of you to take the time.

To my eye there is till clearly grey parts on your printout; yes, no where near as obvious as mine.

As mentioned, when printing the graphic as a Jpeg it prints perfectly.

May I ask you to try and save, then print off as a jpeg, and then see the difference. There should be no grey at all. This is a watercolour wash made from blues and greens only.

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts after this test.

This issue also happens when using Affinity Designer. I also tried printing via Illustrator and Photoshop, no problems at all!

Thank you

On 12/1/2018 at 5:44 PM, NileshV said:

After inserting PNG graphics into an Affinity Photo file, when I come to printing it's leaving a grey background.  you

Could you explain what you mean by ''inserting PNG graphics'? Are you loading them (File > Open), or placing them (File > Place), or Copy and Paste? This can make a difference even if your basic document has Transparent Background' set. I get the impression that you have started with paper images, and then scanned these in. It is these images (in which the background is not necessarily going to be white, or even uniform) that you need to set the background transparent. Did you do that?

You may like to apply a Levels or Curves adjustment so that everything above a certain luminance (that is your greyish background) becomes white.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff

Hi all,

This only seems to affect the Mac build, and not the Windows build. I have managed to reproduce it using a shape and some transparency and logged it with our developers for further investigations. 

For the meantime, you can try to print it from a Windows PC and it should be fine. 

Thanks,

Gabe.