Jump to content
SigsCreations

Need help w/Text as curves then combining new shapes

Recommended Posts

I'm working on a monogram for a client and converted the text to curves so I could change the shapes.

This is what I ended up with. But I would really like to combine these into just one object. It's not working. Combine and add fills in the loops.

I know I can group these and keep them together that way and is what I will do now because of the deadline.

But can anyone show me how to combine separate text converted to curves, into one object without filling in all the centers? This is something I do fairly often, especially when using text for an SVG cutting file. 

I also do it so I can bring into a raster program and flood fill with a pattern or texture. Makes it a bit easier if it is just one shape.

2018-12-01_9-19-36.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Set...

Layer > Fill Mode > Alternative

before doing the Combine or Add

Beware this isn't in Affinity Photo its only in Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher 

In any case I have a complex font added in Affinity Designer using Fill Mode: Winding (Non Zero)

I didn't even convert to curves first I just selected both letters and Boolean added them together, this automagically creates curves, you just need to add a fill afterwards.
116830431_ShowingWindingNon-zero.thumb.png.2a6d8422e08926386ed8fdc299464929.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Hello,

If the text is converted to curves, the solution proposed by @carl123 also works with AD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, reglico said:

Hello,

If the text is converted to curves, the solution proposed by @carl123 also works with AD.

I don't disagree, but I'm showing that it isn't necessarily the case even in Affinity Designer. Converting to curves first is an unnecessary step as the process of boolean operations will do that for you in most cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
12 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I don't disagree, but I'm showing that it isn't necessarily the case even in Affinity Designer. Converting to curves first is an unnecessary step as the process of boolean operations will do that for you in most cases.

I agree with you, but since the original question was about text converted to curves, I found the answer from carl123 appropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

In any case I have a complex font added in Affinity Designer using Fill Mode: Winding (Non Zero)

I didn't even convert to curves first I just selected both letters and Boolean added them together, this automagically creates curves, you just need to add a fill afterwards.

I am not sure what you mean about 'adding' the font to AD using the Winding fill mode. Did you first select & convert some text string in that font to curves (which groups them into several Curves objects if they include loops), ungroup them & overlap one or more characters, & then boolean add them?

If I do that in Designer, I get different results depending on the fill mode:
661506007_fillmode.jpg.d58d47ef00a7d081b806332aed629b4e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure what you mean about 'adding' the font to AD using the Winding fill mode. Did you first select & convert some text string in that font to curves (which groups them into several Curves objects if they include loops), ungroup them & overlap one or more characters, & then boolean add them?

If I do that in Designer, I get different results depending on the fill mode:
661506007_fillmode.jpg.d58d47ef00a7d081b806332aed629b4e.jpg

I didn't deliberately select the Winding (Non Zero) Fill Mode, it wasn't a considered option, it just happened to be the selected Fill Mode, I just selected both Text elements namely N and M and used the Geometry Add option.That process alone gives you a Curve element

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

In APhoto one can group text layers and than rasterize that group into a single layer !
I suppose that's also possible in Designer.

I can't rasterize without losing quality when resized also for cutting files, it has to be vector only.

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I've just done pretty much the same thing and it came out fine, I just used the Boolean Add after I'd converted the letters to curves.

What font are you using?

 

I tried with a more complex font

 

 

When they are fonts, some times it works and some times it doesn't. I've never figured out why it only works with some. But this is no longer a font. I converted to curves and then reshaped the letters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

firstdefense.

thanks. I'll try that.

Like I say, this is something that I need to do fairly often. Normally I just deal with it but figured that there had to be a way to combine them into one shape.

Sig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I didn't deliberately select the Winding (Non Zero) Fill Mode, it wasn't a considered option, it just happened to be the selected Fill Mode, I just selected both Text elements namely N and M and used the Geometry Add option.That process alone gives you a Curve element

When I boolean add Curves objects, for example a script N and an M with loops converted to curves, & either one is set beforehand to Winding fill mode, I get the same results as in my screenshot in my previous post -- the loops are filled in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

When I boolean add Curves objects, for example a script N and an M with loops converted to curves, & either one is set beforehand to Winding fill mode, I get the same results as in my screenshot in my previous post -- the loops are filled in.

I think Winding fill mode, if present, is always inherited when a Geometry operation is applied to two or more objects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying hard to get this to fill loops but I can't do it lol!

Fill Mode has no affect, Changing the fonts to curves first and then adding them works as they are expected to, maybe it's down to the font but until I know what fonts are being used I can't try it on my system to see if I get the same results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.