You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need help w/Text as curves then combining new shapes

I'm working on a monogram for a client and converted the text to curves so I could change the shapes.

This is what I ended up with. But I would really like to combine these into just one object. It's not working. Combine and add fills in the loops.

I know I can group these and keep them together that way and is what I will do now because of the deadline.

But can anyone show me how to combine separate text converted to curves, into one object without filling in all the centers? This is something I do fairly often, especially when using text for an SVG cutting file. 

I also do it so I can bring into a raster program and flood fill with a pattern or texture. Makes it a bit easier if it is just one shape.

2018-12-01_9-19-36.png

I've just done pretty much the same thing and it came out fine, I just used the Boolean Add after I'd converted the letters to curves.

What font are you using?

994870237_Textcurvesjoined.png.8baad679d7f2f358ea880baf42ab2347.png

I tried with a more complex font

215387187_Textcurvescomplexfont.png.4fcea8ee29eba089d725faf8f6338ade.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Set...

Layer > Fill Mode > Alternative

before doing the Combine or Add

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Set...

Layer > Fill Mode > Alternative

before doing the Combine or Add

Beware this isn't in Affinity Photo its only in Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher 

In any case I have a complex font added in Affinity Designer using Fill Mode: Winding (Non Zero)

I didn't even convert to curves first I just selected both letters and Boolean added them together, this automagically creates curves, you just need to add a fill afterwards.
116830431_ShowingWindingNon-zero.thumb.png.2a6d8422e08926386ed8fdc299464929.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

29 minutes ago, reglico said:

Hello,

If the text is converted to curves, the solution proposed by @carl123 also works with AD.

I don't disagree, but I'm showing that it isn't necessarily the case even in Affinity Designer. Converting to curves first is an unnecessary step as the process of boolean operations will do that for you in most cases.

12 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I don't disagree, but I'm showing that it isn't necessarily the case even in Affinity Designer. Converting to curves first is an unnecessary step as the process of boolean operations will do that for you in most cases.

I agree with you, but since the original question was about text converted to curves, I found the answer from carl123 appropriate.

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

In any case I have a complex font added in Affinity Designer using Fill Mode: Winding (Non Zero)

I didn't even convert to curves first I just selected both letters and Boolean added them together, this automagically creates curves, you just need to add a fill afterwards.

I am not sure what you mean about 'adding' the font to AD using the Winding fill mode. Did you first select & convert some text string in that font to curves (which groups them into several Curves objects if they include loops), ungroup them & overlap one or more characters, & then boolean add them?

If I do that in Designer, I get different results depending on the fill mode:
661506007_fillmode.jpg.d58d47ef00a7d081b806332aed629b4e.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure what you mean about 'adding' the font to AD using the Winding fill mode. Did you first select & convert some text string in that font to curves (which groups them into several Curves objects if they include loops), ungroup them & overlap one or more characters, & then boolean add them?

If I do that in Designer, I get different results depending on the fill mode:
661506007_fillmode.jpg.d58d47ef00a7d081b806332aed629b4e.jpg

I didn't deliberately select the Winding (Non Zero) Fill Mode, it wasn't a considered option, it just happened to be the selected Fill Mode, I just selected both Text elements namely N and M and used the Geometry Add option.That process alone gives you a Curve element

6 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

In APhoto one can group text layers and than rasterize that group into a single layer !
I suppose that's also possible in Designer.

I can't rasterize without losing quality when resized also for cutting files, it has to be vector only.

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I've just done pretty much the same thing and it came out fine, I just used the Boolean Add after I'd converted the letters to curves.

What font are you using?

I tried with a more complex font

When they are fonts, some times it works and some times it doesn't. I've never figured out why it only works with some. But this is no longer a font. I converted to curves and then reshaped the letters.

50 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I didn't deliberately select the Winding (Non Zero) Fill Mode, it wasn't a considered option, it just happened to be the selected Fill Mode, I just selected both Text elements namely N and M and used the Geometry Add option.That process alone gives you a Curve element

When I boolean add Curves objects, for example a script N and an M with loops converted to curves, & either one is set beforehand to Winding fill mode, I get the same results as in my screenshot in my previous post -- the loops are filled in.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

When I boolean add Curves objects, for example a script N and an M with loops converted to curves, & either one is set beforehand to Winding fill mode, I get the same results as in my screenshot in my previous post -- the loops are filled in.

I think Winding fill mode, if present, is always inherited when a Geometry operation is applied to two or more objects.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm trying hard to get this to fill loops but I can't do it lol!

Fill Mode has no affect, Changing the fonts to curves first and then adding them works as they are expected to, maybe it's down to the font but until I know what fonts are being used I can't try it on my system to see if I get the same results.