You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 1 year later...

Wow, seems like some militant resistance to a pretty useful addition there. If it’s available but hidden, what’s your beef? 

I’ve bought my son a Designer licence for his school Acer laptop. He has embraced it and is really getting good at drawing direct to screen in folded tablet mode with the included stylus, so no keyboard input. Undo/redo buttons are the first thing he wanted but couldn’t find. He found the alternatives listed here, and they all slow him down compared to a single muscle memory on-screen click. His first intuitive guess was to try to find undo/redo options in ‘customise toolbar’. His web searches quickly point to the iPad app where this feature is a perfectly civilised check box in the preference pane. He would love either option on his PC. His use is not sophisticated enough for the history panel approach yet; I told him about it and he just wasn’t interested.

I would see this feature as a contribution to allowing this powerful program to be used in simpler intuitive ways by budding users in the early stages of their development. I would think that once familiar with it most growing users would begin to see Designer as simply how they draw and would stay loyal as long as this fine product persists. I know I will, and my bottom lip still quivers remembering dark times past when the forces of darkness put Freehand in a ditch. For me, for what it’s worth, Designer was chosen simply as an overdue Freehand replacement as Apple’s planned hardware and OS obsolescence stopped supporting my preferred (my only) program for drawing, planning, graphic designing, drafting, word processing, desktop publishing, sign and sticker cutting, but has turned out to be a truly great improvement (save for my one gripe of ‘orrible text import from old FH files, but that’s even more niche and another story). 

• 7 months later...
On 7/8/2020 at 7:11 AM, Michail said:

The other way around. If you need something like that, you have to turn it on.

In the basic state, the configurable Tool panel and the configurable Toolbar should be completely empty, and the user had to turn on what he needed? Hmm, practical.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 6/3/2020 at 11:48 AM, MEB said:

Hi thomas.dahl,
This is still listed/logged as an improvement request but was never assigned to a dev - probably because of lack of time or other things taking priority. I've bumped the report and passed it to a developer. Hopefully this will speed things up. Sorry.

Any update on this? It's now 2022 🤨.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 8:23 AM, jelnet said:

Any update on this? It's now 2022 🤨.

I keep seeing posts like this and I'm completely lost.

What does the year have to do with anything?  Maybe the response could be that there is no update because it isn't next year yet (hint: it never will be next year...)

Regardless, most of us have no idea what they have added to version 2.0 which as I understand it is being tested internally right now, so given that Serif generally does not respond to feature requests until the features actually show up in some version of the program, the fact that they are being so closed off about 2.0 right now (as they likely should be until a customer/public beta of some kind comes out) means that these questions simply are not worth asking at the moment.

The people who know won't answer, and the people who will answer won't know.