You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Personally I either use CTRL-Z to undo and CTRL-Y to redo, or the History list to undo several previous actions, but undo and redo button could be useful options on the tool bar - or they could be options in the Customise Toolbar dialogue.

• 2 months later...
On 12/2/2018 at 11:06 AM, mac_heibu said:

You have

• a menu entry for that,
  • a keyboard shortcut (, which you can accomodate)
  • a history panel, where you can get back to every document state.

why one more option? Why drowning the user interface in redundant representations of one single command?

So remove the menu entry so that you do not feel overwhelmed and add the undo/redo buttons as optional..  I have gone back to Page Plus until they are available in Affinity Publisher.  What are the developers thinking?

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

It should come at some point in one of the upcoming Betas (or updates).

But, please, do it so that those of us with keyboards can remove them in preferences.

I always use the keyboard shortcuts and don't want buttons I never use cluttering up toolbars.

(Just putting another point of view! ;))

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 minute ago, PaulEC said:

But, please, do it so that those of us with keyboards can remove them in preferences.

No need for an option of going to Preferences just use the View > Customize Toolbar command.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, DMT said:

WHY WOULD YOU NOT HAVE UNDO ARROWS???? EVERY OTHER PROGRAM ON THE PLANET HAS THEM! Please remedy this in the next update because it is annoying as all get out.

You should be careful what you say. For example, where are the undo arrows in Photoshop and InDesign?
I hope that for Serif the number of question marks does not determine priorities ...

11 hours ago, DMT said:

WHY WOULD YOU NOT HAVE UNDO ARROWS???? EVERY OTHER PROGRAM ON THE PLANET HAS THEM! Please remedy this in the next update because it is annoying as all get out.

Personally I don't have enough spare time to check out "every other program on the planet". I really envy someone who has nothing better to do! 😁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I use Thunderbird as my email client, and that doesn't have them either.

Neither does Safari or most other web browsers I've seen.

I checked the Mac versions of Pages, Nisus Writer Pro and Mellel, which are word processing applications, and none of them have Undo or Redo buttons on their toolbars by default.  Pages doesn't even offer them to be added to the toolbar (the other two do have them as options when customizing).

QuarkXPress doesn't have one visible by default anywhere either, and I don't see any way to add one.

I would say that most of the professional software and even much of the consumer software I am finding does NOT in fact have Undo or Redo buttons wasting screen space in the default configurations, leaving that either as an option for user customization or simply not providing it, expecting users to either use the pull-down menus or the keyboard shortcuts.

MEB has said that optional buttons will be coming. That is fine by me, but I will never use them, because it is just too slow compared to keyboard shortcuts. For accessibility for people with only one functional hand, it can make good sense, but a hand on the keyboard and a hand on the mouse is a lot faster than relying on the mouse only. I am sure I use that keyboard shortcut across multiple apps even hundred times a day.

Hi - As a newbie trying the first steps I can only say optional Undo/Redo buttons or arrows (I don't care) would be a great help. Who doesn't want this option can turn it off.

May anybody be so kind to tell me how I can display the History list to undo several previous actions? At the moment I only find the possibility to undo the previous step under "Bearbeiten" (German edition). This takes endlessly if one want to undo several steps.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by R.K.

9 hours ago, R.K. said:

Hi - As a newbie trying the first steps I can only say optional Undo/Redo buttons or arrows (I don't care) would be a great help. Who doesn't want this option can turn it off.

The other way around. If you need something like that, you have to turn it on.

9 hours ago, R.K. said:

May anybody be so kind to tell me how I can display the History list to undo several previous actions? At the moment I only find the possibility to undo the previous step under "Bearbeiten" (German edition). This takes endlessly if one want to undo several steps.

There is protocol for that. Select "View" -> "Studio" -> "Protocol" "History" from the menu.

1 hour ago, Michail said:

There is protocol for that.

I see what you did there! :D

Select "View"->"Studio"->"Protocol" from the menu.

The panel labelled „Protokoll“ in the German versions of the Affinity apps is called the History panel in the English versions.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)