You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Swatch/Colour Pallette

In PagePlus, when you selected an item that had a colour fill that colour was highlighted on the colour swatch (thicker line or white line I think) making it easy to identify the colour you had been using. I can't see that this happens with Affinity Publisher, so I have to hover over each square until I find the right colour reference.

Sorry Thomas, but I think you're looking at - thinking of - something else, Dan's right, this behaviour should be expected and doesn't happen. I've checked myself just now. I think, though, this might be a language issue (although your English is better than my German). What Dan is meaning - I think - is that when you select an object, the palette doesn't update to reflect the object's colour, it remains on the last used colour - and he's right, it doesn't. 

For example, I have just selected a yellow object in my project, but the palette still shows the last colour I used (a soft indigo) and I can't find this list you're referring to - do you mean the panel underneath the palette box, the one with the 'layers, character, paragraph and text styles' tabs…? Yes that does highlight there currently selected object, but it DOES NOT tell you any further info about it. If you've used many colours in a project - and particularly if you've used many shades of the same colour, there doesn't seem to be a way of reminding yourself what you've used where. 

If you disagree with what I'm saying Thomas, perhaps you could post a screenshot so that Dan and I can better understand exactly what you mean. 

Peace

G-S

I haven't checked it recently, but there was a bug last I knew that if you had multiple swatches with the same color value it didn't always select the correct one (this can be significant when working with global colors and/or spot colors).  It would generally select the first swatch with the same color even though a different one might actually be in use.

3 hours ago, DanEv said:

Here's what I mean; had I been using PagePlus and selected the green object, that colour would have been highlighted on the palette , so I could identify the colour I had used.

Colours.PNG

It may well be I can see that there are more colours below what is visible. Also you may have a 'different' colour because of blending or effects etc.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@DanEv, now I can repeat your bug:

Obviously it is dependent of the selected palette. To me it happens only with System Palettes and those below in the pulldown list (Pantone).

Furthermore: it is confusing that a marked swatch position remains marked after switching the palette: because of its position in the swatches, not because of beeing selected. Very useless, and risky with similar colors, too.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1