You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag Embeds

I designed a page with an arrangement of image frames. I then made sure that prefer linked was set for the document, however when I drag and image in from finder it embeds. Is this expected or a bug?

If it is expected what are the methods for embedding images?

V 192 

It's a preference: select "Prefer linked" either in the options menu of either "New Document" or "Document Setup".

672911212_Bildschirmfoto2018-12-01um16_39_47.jpg.8acfd5a06a8fbd052abc91c3125fa46a.jpg      899379428_Bildschirmfoto2018-12-01um16_38_58.jpg.65a77226afa8e1fdddcefc918020c64d.jpg

Unfortunately "Prefer Linked" appears to get ignored occasionally, so it might happen that suddenly a pasted file is shown as embedded it the Resource Manager. It even occurs that a reset in the Manager back to linked becomes switched again by the app later [ somehow devilish, in the dark, when you don't look ... ]

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, SteveP110 said:

when I drag and image in from finder it embeds. Is this expected or a bug?

I would expect the file to be linked so I guess it is a bug if you have set the document to prefer linked.

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

suddenly a pasted file is shown as embedded it the Resource Manager.

This behaviour would be expected. If you paste something there is nothing other than the clipboard for the document to refer to for a location and name of the file.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Sorry, my language problem. I meant "paste" in some way from "add", "paste", "integrate" ... (it's more commonly "paste" into German usage), of course, including the file path information. No link without linked location.

However, I noticed several times, that a linked file became marked in the Manager at a later moment (other day for instance) as embedded. So, if I reset it to linked in the manager, it happens to become switched back to embedded occasionally. I could not recognize a rule or system in this yet.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

My default method of working is linked, so the images are seperate from the actual document enabling easy editting or collaberation. I only use embeded for simple oblects ie design components or logos in templates. So I would like to have the option to set the new defaults to be Linked they apear to be embeded at the moment.

I agree with the above comments in that changing the document settings is unreliable, or quirky

Hi SteveP110

This is an issue that is supposed to be sorted for 192, when i drag in an image form finder it is following whatever placement policy I have set. If you check in the resource manager is it definitely saying embed when your policy is set to link?

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.