I tried linking a Designer file, but Publisher will always embed it. This is unintended behaviour IMO. Is that something that will be addressed in future updates?

A dedicated pallette/list of all linked and embedded files is also needed to keep track in larger projects

Edited by Rocketdrive
Resource manager is for keeping track of linked/embedded files

If you are looking at the layer types they all say "embedded" even if they are linked as they are considered the same type of layer either way.

There already is such a list - "Resource Manager" at the bottom of the Document menu - and that will also tell you whether a particular resource is actually embedded or linked.

Alright, the "Resource Manager" is a good start, I never noticed it. Thanks @fde101 for pointing that out.

Now I was able to change all files from "embedded" to "linked" via Resource Manager (RM). However:

• in the layer pallette they still show up as "embedded"
  • the file size is unchanged: prior to linking it was around 70 MB, and is the same after linking.

So, my question stays :)

1 hour ago, Rocketdrive said:

in the layer pallette they still show up as "embedded"

The Layer panel is not telling you whether they are physically embedded or not. It's just telling you the kind of layer you have. Affinity has used the term embedded for two purposes, which is confusing.

When you create a document you can specify your preference (embedded vs linked) for all the files you add to that document. But whichever you choose, it appears that Affinity keeps a copy of the file in the document. Serif knows about that. We don't know how it will ultimately behave, when Serif is finished with the beta process.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404

I've got a hunch the storage of the file is related to the undo history that is kept and the "special" way that the Serif team explained that their files are stored... for example if you have an embedded image and convert it to linked, what does it fall back on when you undo that conversion?