You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop an imported image layer without rasterizing

1 hour ago, fannypack said:

As stated in the title, I need to crop an image layer without rasterizing the layer

It depends on what software you are using. You can't actually crop it, but you can mask it or clip it.

In Designer, you can use the Vector Crop Tool. Just drag the edges and that will crop (technically mask) the placed image.

In Photo, there is no crop tool. The easiest way is to place a rectangle over the image (the rectangle must have a fill colour). Right click on the rectangle layer and choose 'Mask to Below'. That is pretty much the same as what the Vector Crop Tool does.

The other option is to place the image inside a clipping rectangle. That 'clips' the image inside the shape. All you need to do is draw a rectangle, then drag the image to the clipping position of the shape, which is at the bottom below the layer name. Not over the layer thumbnail!. You can do that in both programs.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

23 hours ago, toltec said:

In Photo, there is no crop tool.

What is the tool that I have been using for ages in Photo, with the two crossed right angles? If it isn't a crop tool, then it certainly behaves like one.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 minute ago, John Rostron said:

What is the tool that I have been using for ages in Photo, with the two crossed right angles? If it isn't a crop tool, tgen it certainly behaves like one.

John

On 12/1/2018 at 8:26 AM, fannypack said:

As stated in the title, I need to crop an image layer without rasterizing the layer

OK, maybe I should have said there is no Crop Tool for cropping image layers, Good grief 9_9

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 minute ago, toltec said:

OK, maybe I should have said there is no Crop Tool for cropping image layers, Good grief 9_9

Pardon my combination of ignorance and inattention. I had not registered the word 'image' as being the alternative to 'pixel' when referring to layers. I was unaware that the crop tool did not work on image layers, never having tried it. Good grief indeed.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630