NicolasB

[By Design] Bad handling of double-tap on new Apple Pencil

Got new iPad Pro 2018 with new Apple Pencil, and although the double-tap to switch between brush and eraser works fine, I'm facing an annoying behavior that I didn't experience with my older iPad Pro and Pencil:

I always work from RAW so always start my workflow in the Develop persona, spending a few minutes clicking here and there to develop adequately before pushing the "Develop" button. This worked fine till now, but with the new Apple Pencil, if I inadvertently double-tap on the pencil while in the Develop persona, it switches me right away to the Photo persona with no questions asked, before I'm done developing!

And, because there's no way to set the sensitivity of the double-tap in the Apple Pencil settings, this tends to happen to me unwillingly several times a day. So frustrating that I decided to completely turn off the double-tap behavior in the Apple Pencil settings, BUT... even then the problem keeps happening?!? Hopefully you can recreate and address in a near-future update because I don't know what to do :(

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas

Just adding a second to this. I’m experiencing all kinds of frustrating behaviors due to this: gradients get reversed, text selections deselecting, etc. I posted about this in a separate thread. The system-wide setting to disable double taps on the pencil has no effect. 

Hi both,

Double tapping will commit all filters (Develop is technically a filter).

All the pencil double tap actions are going to be made customisable in 1.7, so you will be able to disable this the future if you want to. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks for the info, Gabe. I still don't quite get why setting the double taps to "off" in system prefs is ignored within the app. BTW, no other app I use continues to allow double taps to function in this manner.

Hi everyone, I have searched for a solution to the "double-tap" issue in the apple pencil. If you enter iPad / accessibility settings, there is a menu dedicated to the apple pencil. You only have to deactivate the double press of the pencil and it no longer interacts with any application.

I hope you are sharp, greetings. 

839EB996-F8B9-48A0-984C-0A4A87926F72.jpeg

A8A78524-850D-4DB6-A919-022384D12596.jpeg