You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quick way to create new layer beneath the active one?

AFAIK new plain pixel layers will always be created above the active one, so you would have instead to apply here afterwards a layer "Move Back One" command (shortcut Cmd [ on Macs). - And since we are not able to assign keyboard shortcuts to macros, you can't create your own custom one-click solution here to simulate this behavior.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Arrange > Insertion Behind

You can add your own shortcut to this such as CTRL+SPACE

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yes that one works like a momentary arrangement toggle, though afterwards always goes back to the default behavior (at least on the Mac here). Thus I often tend to forget that one.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

create a shortcut:

2 hours ago, hifred said:

The answer to my actual question seems to be No, nonetheless: I wanted to avoid a two step operation for something I need very frequently.

If this is really SOOO workflow-speedup for you than create 2 shortcuts: One for Insert behind, eg. "B" and another  for new layer like "N" . Than press both in a short sequence., like a piano arpeggio.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

If this is really SOOO speedup for you than Create 2 shortcuts: One for Insert being like "B" and another t for new layer like "N" . Than press both in a short sequence., like a piano arpeggio.

It would remain a two step operation though ;o)
Seriously – the way this works in Aphoto is less elegant. I rather open a wishless item.

2 hours ago, hifred said:

It would remain a two step operation though ;o)

Not really

If you set the new layer shortcut to a one key shortcut like Ctrl =

the move down one shortcut is Ctrl [

So press down (and hold) the Control key, then press = followed by   (don't release the Ctrl key in between).

Because they are so close together, you hardly notice pressing = + [ in quick succession

Obviously set the keys to whatever you like.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 hours ago, toltec said:

Not really

If you set the new layer shortcut to a one key shortcut like Ctrl =

the move down one shortcut is Ctrl [

So press down (and hold) the Control key, then press = followed by   (don't release the Ctrl key in between).

Because they are so close together, you hardly notice pressing = + [ in quick succession

Obviously set the keys to whatever you like.

Better you hard-tape two fingers, or even better you, nail two fingers togethers... with a little bit difference between show- and middle-finger... than use (as describtion above) just this "one" finger-cluster and you will hit (in german keys) B and N in the right subsequent with really one stroke!!!! So you really get ONE operation for that very often necessary action, after a small operation for you ;-)

Thank you all! I grant everyone a little laugh – but I hope you don't mind that I still raise a feature request  :o)

If it wouldn't come across so terribly unpolite I sometimes would like to add "I'm really asking exactly this question*, no workarounds please". To me that's just another nuance in the long list of areas where I find APhotos Layer Editor inferior to the one I'm used to. Many people have complained already – hopefully the developers have another serious look and then I rather throw this one onto the heap.
My personal experience whenever I tinker a bit in Aphoto is that it only takes seconds and I start missing things. Not because they are hooked up slightly different, but because they simply don't exist. These tiny and not at all tiny things (such as missing context menus) really add up and in team play with overall tool +  screen redraw slowness seriously spoil my editing experience.

*In that case the precise question would have been:
Does the 'Create Pixel Layer Button' Photo use an alternative keymapping to toggle the location of a newly created layer relative to the active layer? Please let me know. :o)

5 hours ago, hifred said:

*In that case the precise question would have been:
Does the 'Create Pixel Layer Button' Photo use an alternative keymapping to toggle the location of a newly created layer relative to the active layer? Please let me know. :o)

NO.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

13 hours ago, hifred said:

Thanks guys – I appreciate the suggested workarounds. 
The answer to my actual question seems to be No, nonetheless: I wanted to avoid a two step operation for something I need very frequently.

It can be one click with a Macro.
Up to you if having the Macro library window open is a deal breaker. Or if it's considered a "workaround" (trust me, I feel your pain).... it's still one click.
What would really be nice is if we could hot button Macros. 

3 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

It can be one click with a Macro.
Up to you if having the Macro library window open is a deal breaker. Or if it's considered a "workaround" (trust me, I feel your pain).... it's still one click.
What would really be nice is if we could hot button Macros. 

You can not shortcut macros. Also if you have aA LOT of macros... with no sub-categories the library becomes really fast a touwabohuh.

I would suggest, less than 5 steps makes no sense to create a macro... The search is maybe longer, than the time-win, if you do the steps direct.

I have more than 200 COMPLEX macros (and plan 500 more) in some categories, but its really hard to find the one i´m looking for. If the category is smaller than its items... without any subcategories... it looks so:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-01 um 08.25.22.jpg

Better would be a menue which de-collapse on the right side, to the last subcategory + a favorite window, which is permanent open, if you wish and where you can select your 20 most needed macros as permanent view for each doc separate, with a dynamic shortcut-system, eg. alt+numbers which detected which macro is CURRENT  on place #3 or #9...in the CURRENT list (you can always temporally reoder...) favorite list and run this .... i need other macros for my B/W or FX or sharpen or repair.... environments.... Also i would suggest that you can save screen-sets with all the panels you need for special situations on the place you want... simple and fast vial cmd+1,2,3... available.