You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

which tool to use to change color of parts of background to color of something else in photo

which tool to use to change color of parts of background to color of something else in photo? For example, there are streetlights, I want to paint them the color of the sky behind the lights.

I am very new to the tool. I thought brush tool could do this but it seems like you have to choose a standard color and cannot choose one from photograph. Eraser? Please advise.

Thank you!

Larissa

Also the Colour Replacement Tool would be quite useful in this scenario

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 11/30/2018 at 8:47 AM, firstdefence said:

Also the Colour Replacement Tool would be quite useful in this scenario

Really? I always get confused or do wrong strokes... with its AUTOMATICALLY hold last color... Maybe i do not know this tool, do you know a good video which explains??? 

I prefer a very smooth clone with maybe additive 33% flow.... for such stunts.... but yeah is a lot of edits, with the mosue... so maybe the color replacemt is better, but i just do not understand how its working????

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

Really? I always get confused or do wrong strokes... with its AUTOMATICALLY hold last color... Maybe i do not know this tool, do you know a good video which explains??? 

It is actually one of the most useful tools for making local corrections too. Apart from completely changing colours, it is very useful for clearing up odd bits of colour 'tinge'. e.g. green screen photography often leaves a green tint showing through hair or on the edges of skin. The Colour Replacement Tool easily cleans that up. It is a bit overlooked which is a shame.

No video AFAIK.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

9 minutes ago, toltec said:

No video AFAIK.

No videos from Affinity, but quite a few from users.  I haven't watched any, so I've no idea how useful they are.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

33 minutes ago, toltec said:

It is actually one of the most useful tools for making local corrections too. Apart from completely changing colours, it is very useful for clearing up odd bits of colour 'tinge'. e.g. green screen photography often leaves a green tint showing through hair or on the edges of skin. The Colour Replacement Tool easily cleans that up. It is a bit overlooked which is a shame.

Yeah, i guess too, its a powerful tool. But as said, do not understand it really. Ißm eg. looking for a dynamically "sample-brush". Each normal instensity brush samples just the colors wehre you click like the clone. But it always keeps that sample as fill.... as long you do again a new sample.... For example you a tree with 200 green leaves... you just the "greens" in the "texture" of your current brush, like an static image-brush... but on-the-fly-dynamically.

And BTW: i would love to have an option for normal intensity brushes generally "take current layer" as bitmap, instead this wide way via export and import via finder/explorer...

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

I used the clone brush tool and that one did the trick with a little finagling.

I, too, don't understand the color replacement tool and I couldn't  find any good user-made videos on it.

So you're saying the purpose of it is to replace certain colors with others already on the photograph? 

You can replace colours with pretty much any colour you like. Something like this . . .

car.jpg

Note: This is not a standard Mercedes option ;)

It's a really useful tool but it will only work on colours. It wont work on if there is no colour or if the colour has almost no saturation.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.