You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing layer mask is odd

Hi

When I try to edit a layer mask using the brush tool I get some unexpected results. If I try and create a cross the second stoke is under the first. The second and subsequent strokes are under previous strokes. Also when making a stroke over the first stroke the second stroke is contained by the boundary of the first stroke. See images

What is the problem please and can it be fixed?

photo-mask-brush-editing2.jpg

photo-mask-brush-editing.jpg

1 hour ago, stoosh said:

Hi

When I try to edit a layer mask using the brush tool I get some unexpected results. If I try and create a cross the second stoke is under the first. The second and subsequent strokes are under previous strokes. Also when making a stroke over the first stroke the second stroke is contained by the boundary of the first stroke. See images

What is the problem please and can it be fixed?

You have some very odd settings. On the Tools panel, the Colour Replacement Brush is selected. On the Context Toolbar, the Force Pixel Alignment and Move by Whole pixels is selected.

I have no idea what all that is doing in practice but I suggest you start with turning off the Force Pixel options and then select a normal brush.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

19 hours ago, toltec said:

You have some very odd settings. On the Tools panel, the Colour Replacement Brush is selected. On the Context Toolbar, the Force Pixel Alignment and Move by Whole pixels is selected.

I have no idea what all that is doing in practice but I suggest you start with turning off the Force Pixel options and then select a normal brush.

Thanks for your help. I've had a license for Affinity Photo since it was released but have only been able to use it as of this week because it wasn't working on my old computer. So I'm only now starting to explore it. Photoshop... fine, Affinity Photo... getting acquainted.