You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Character or Paragraph format reset not working

Hi everyone,

I have a simple test document to experiment with text, character, and paragraph formatting.

In this document I made a text frame with some characters in it and then applied a drop cap, using the Paragraph panel's dropdown styles list.

I then tried to remove the drop cap, but despite setting everything in sight back to "[No Style]", and using the "Reset Format" button in the Text Styles panel, the drop cap refuses to go away.

I have noticed this with some other character/text/paragraph attributes. Once set, they seem to persist even when you try to get rid of them.

Why is this, and is there any one-click or other simple facility in Affinity Publisher Beta to thoroughly remove all applied text/character/paragraph attributes from text and set it back to "no added attributes", leaving only the raw text in place? If so I have not yet found it.

I'm attaching the test document and a screenshot of settings.

If I'm missing something I'd be glad to understand what that is. At present I'm thinking this is a bug.

Thanks in anticipation...

drop cap - character format persistence bug in AfPub.afpub

character format persistence bug in AfPub.jpg

4 minutes ago, PatrickOfLondon said:

Why is this, and is there any one-click o other simple facility in Affinity Publisher Beta to thoroughly remove all applied text/character/paragraph attributes from text and set it back to "no added attributes", leaving only the raw text in place? If so I have not yet found it.

Select the text, and click the Revert Defaults button in the Toolbar:
image.png.b84fe66844946bebba97c78cab0c8adf.png

Important: That button has two functions, and it will operate either on a selected "object" or globally. Make sure you have something selected unless you want the global action. From the Publisher Help: Revert defaults—synchronized defaults are reverted to saved defaults. If an object is currently selected, its attributes revert to the default settings

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Select the text, and click the Revert Defaults button in the Toolbar:
image.png.b84fe66844946bebba97c78cab0c8adf.png

Important: That button has two functions, and it will operate either on a selected "object" or globally. Make sure you have something selected unless you want the global action. From the Publisher Help: Revert defaults—synchronized defaults are reverted to saved defaults. If an object is currently selected, its attributes revert to the default settings

Hi Walt,

Thank you for that. It's easy when someone like you shows you.... :)  

For the developers to consider:

I wonder whether it might be an improvement to the user interface if the two "defaults" buttons (synchronise, and revert) could have a safety-trap on them, e.g. clicking on either of them gives a message "This will [do whatever it does].... do you want to proceed? Yes/No"

I know one can always undo, but in certain circumstances, nothing obvious happens when you click one of these buttons, even though it has changed things behind the scenes.

Just a thought.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.