You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Force update instances

I had another mis-print today because the symbol instances constantly get out of whack. A "force update instances" would cure this ailment. 

Right now the instances are recognised as symbols in the layer stack. Yet quite often after updating a symbol, it carries through some instances, not all. Sometimes just two instances and then it stops. It's a very necessary addition and I'm honestly quite surprised it isn't there already.

Yes, instances of symbols. That's what I said.

Often not all instances of a symbol are receiving the updates I make to a symbol. Most of the time I have to start over and re-create all elements, starting a new symbol. That's why I now stopped using symbols altogether, they're not reliable. It's really easy to get them to screw themselves up. Just do a few edits on a symbol while it has been instanced already across a document. Some instances will get the change, others won't. If you want it to happen faster, nest symbols. Usually only takes up to 3 edits before you have to start over.

Yesterday I could've given you a file but now I've re-created the whole thing with embedded documents. At least that approach works. Just not when I embed a document into a symbol and re-import the document or change the document in AD, then it screws up throughout the instances of the symbol as well. Also, why is there no simple "reload" or "relink" for embedded documents? It's really annoying. 

I think what Sean P was asking about is whether or not you intentionally made changes to any of the symbols' attributes with the Sync feature turned off.

It is an intentional feature to let some of the symbols vary in some areas and if you had made changes of that nature then it is possible that the attributes you changed are no longer set to sync.

If you haven't done this intentionally, but this is the type of behavior you are seeing, then I'm wondering if there is a bug which is erroneously causing some of the symbol attributes to become "detached" from the symbol?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.