You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying styles

I just installed the latest version and began working on a test newsletter.  I created a small headline style and applied it.  The style that had been applied to the paragraph in my text frame was Body Text News, which has a first line .25" indent.  The new style was a different font (applied), and different size (applied), and was centered (applied).  However, I could see it wasn't centered, as it had retained the first line indent of the original style in the text frame.  I deliberately set the base style for this new style to No Style, so I was surprised by this.  I tried reapplying the style.  Finally, I applied a different style, then reapplied my new style and all was well.  This is not a burdensome workaround, but it is a workaround.

The [No change] setting throughout the style settings is confusing and reminds me of the Normal style in Microsoft Word.  Are the styles in Publisher cascading, or linked, by default?  I've trained a lot of people using Word, and I always recommend they turn off linked styles unless they know what they're doing.  I personally think styles are the best thing ever invented for any kind of document work, and linked styles not so much.  Is it possible to un-link styles by default and allow users to link them?  Or at least display the underlying setting that's not being changed?

I created a file in PP awhile back.  I then saved it as a pdf and opened it in Publisher beta .192.  I wanted to apply styles but all I got was "no styles"  Try as I might I could not apply any styles to the text.  I know I could do it by recreating the file over in Publisher beta but is there a way to change styles from opened  pdf files?

Thank you

I tried to change text styles to a pdf file that I orginally created in Pub. Beta.  I found that I was not able to edit the styles on that file either.  I guess when you convert to a pdf you are stuck with what you have as far as styles are concerned.

Edited by BobZ6
Further clarification

On 11/29/2018 at 8:19 PM, kdock said:

Or at least display the underlying setting that's not being changed?

+1 Sometimes I need to modify the value to "see" which setting it is.

12 minutes ago, BobZ6 said:

a way to change styles from opened  pdf files

PDF files don't contain any information about styles. You'll have to recreate them from selected text parts and reapply.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.