You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF-export alert - revisited

Hi,

I placed a PDF (exported with InDesign)  in a new document and used the editing function to change some text.

Now I tried to export this document as an PDF-file with a publisher preset (PDF X3 etc). This causes an alert when exporting.

The bug returns with version 1.7.0.174. But now its only possible to export PDF with the preset "PDF (for print)" - other presets does not work.

Regards

Kai-Uwe

pdf-export-error.jpg

Hi -I'm getting this problem too: An error occurred while exporting too. Same kind of thing as Kai2's description of events. I imported files from AD.

483721219_ScreenShot2018-11-30at18_43_28.png.a411393e0f3e3814249b74e389f30f46.png

Using: Mac OSX Monterey on a Mac Mini (late 2014). Wacom Bamboo. Mouse. Pencils. Pens. Other stuff...

Kevin McSherry: Creative. Art  :  Illustration  :  Design
The Studio, 17 Aideen Avenue, Terenure, Dublin 6W.  Ireland
+353 (0)86 247 0737   www.mcsherry.ie

160604_35%2Bicon%2Baffinity.jpg

Just to add: It didn't export from 'PDF (for web) (for print) or (for export) but it did just work for PDF (flatten).

Using: Mac OSX Monterey on a Mac Mini (late 2014). Wacom Bamboo. Mouse. Pencils. Pens. Other stuff...

Hi Chris, I've attached the document here. 

Kevin

Open_House_Catalogue_DTP_Document.afpub

Hi Kai,

Your file exported for me, using PDF (for export) PDF (for Web) and PDF  (for Print) with no problems. That's interesting.

Kevin

Yes - none of those options worked for me either. I removed the logo and tried with (only) X4 and it did export. So the logo seems to be the problem. I can't say why that would be the case.

12 hours ago, kai2 said:

Hi Chris,

attached a document. I suspect the logo is causing the error. But I don´t know why.

Regards

Kai-Uwe

test.afpub

@kai2, to me your document exports with PDF/X-4, -3 and -1a preset at 300 dpi without complaints. See attached.

test-X4.pdf
test-X3.pdf
test-X1.pdf

You might check these pdfs to look for any disturbance. (I can't judge what I see because of not knowing the original material).

p.s.: What do you mean with "logo"? There are many elements forming such a thing, I can not recognize one or more of them as "logo" but just many text elements (most of them as curves) and 1 tiny foto "50". – Attach a file with "logo" only?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

12 hours ago, kevinmcsherry said:

Hi Chris, I've attached the document here. 

Kevin

Open_House_Catalogue_DTP_Document.afpub

@kevinmcsherry,

your document can be exported as PDF/X-... :

On both your master pages is a text frame placed into a text frame which apparently is not meant to be seen/printed.
Set them in the layers panel to invisible (on both master pages) and the file exports as PDF/X. Like a charm.

p.p.s: the artistic text is not necessary for text, unless you want to deform text. You might remove its tool icon from the tool palette and replace it with the 'double' text tool to avoid misuse.

p.p.p.s: your signature. huuu. It almost fills my screen. what for? Would you mind to calm it down, please?

Hi @kai2,

I tried to export your file as a PDF/X-4 file and it worked properly. There was a warning about the Frutiger font for the "Jahre+" text when I opened the file, but I substituted it to the version I had on my system. Maybe you could convert that text to curve before exporting (like you did with the lower text).

I also think that AFP has a problem using the font, but I don't have a warning message when opening the PDF-file. It´s an Adobe-Postscript-Font - no problem to work with in InDesign.

Maybe a problem with the pdf-import?

@kai2, when I recently opened and exported your first document ( https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/73780-pdf-export-alert-revisited/&do=findComment&comment=386319 ) I did neither get a warning message when opening the file nor when exporting it. So I was not aware about the ? in front of the font name in character pane.

As I noticed with your second doc ("test-logo"), for my exports the font Frutiger was not activated – and in the PDF apparently Lucida Grande was used instead:

2957772_testexport-frutigerersatz.jpg.afa2670aae537edffb089c64efdf0349.jpg

That made me now activate Frutiger after opening your test-logo.afpub (which opened without complaint) – and now I get the same error message when exporting as PDF/X. – So I agree to your supposition that the font here causes the export issue.

I tried other weights than "56 Italic" (which you have used?) and they did export fine, e.g. "46 light italic" and "57 bold italic". It reminds me to a similar experience with the font Univers, where only particular weights could get exported as PDF/X and others resulted in an error message.

I give up at this point. For now either the font file might cause the issue on export or it happens while PDF import or even the imported PDF could contain the failure-cause already.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.