You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

I'm fairly new with Affinity (loving it so far), but I can't find a way to see the values of an 32-bit image in the Color Sampler Info panel. No matter what mode I use it seems to always clip to 255 which is not the case of my image.

32_bit.thumb.jpg.75ed63b866226548c6aa05b77b0d416a.jpg

Cheers,
Juan

• 2 months later...

Has this question been answered? Keenly interested in this. I've been very impressed with Affinity Photo's 32-bit image handling but the absence of a 32-bit floating-point display in the color sampler panel is a show stopper. Using the eyedropper tool is not a substitute. Are there any plans to fix this? Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I've done a large amount of 32 bit image editing but I've always had to do that in Nuke due to it's ability to sample and display 32 bit floating point color values. Affinity Photo desperately needs to have this type of sampling. We can't work correctly on HDR images without being able to sample our colors that are above 1.0 in value. A very well shot daylight floating point HDR image can easily have values for the sun that are 300,000 + in brightness.

• 8 months later...

Bump.

There have been several application updates since the last post here but this seemingly simple issue doesn't seem to have been addressed. Just wondering why the info panel popups don't allow you to set bit depth as well as color mode -- or why the panel doesn't just automatically display floating point values for 16- and 32-bit images. Right now it's impossible to get a floating point sample without holding down the mouse button, and no way to get a targeted sample. (Or am I missing something?)

• 4 months later...

Here are a couple of kludges that will maybe help a little.

1) The color picker goes into bounded (0.0 - 1.0) readout when picking a color in a 32bit file.  This will give you a relative sense of the numerical floating point values in your image.

2) In a Curves adjustment layer, you can specify the min and max X axis values for the curve.  So, you can set the min to 0 and the max to 100, for example.  Then you can use the picker in the curves dialog and see where your picked point in your image falls on the X axis of the curve.  The X axis value is still readout in 0 to 1, but you just need to scale it by the max value you input.  Unfortunately, it appears that the maximum "max"  value you can enter is 100, which might cause a lot of shadow values to accumulate way down on the left end of the curves histogram.

I agree, adding a true 32bpc color readout is a no-brainer.

kirk

• 1 year later...

Hi, has there been any further news on this? Just purchased Affinity Photo v2, with the hope of using for end-to-end OCIO work. Everything seems to work properly with view transforms etc., but quite disappointing to not see an (obvious) 32 bit picker mode.