You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save settings for Selection Brush Tool - Refine

Hi, I tried to find solution but couldnt. For other tools you can go to Edit > Defaults > Save - for selection tool it doesnt work

I want to have default settings for Refine - not have to manually change it each time and switch off that weird "matte edges" option (who even uses that)

Is there a way to have default setting for Refine Selection tool? Same as per my photo?

Capture2.JPG

Thanks, it is possible in Photoshop with a small tick box right inside that Refine Selection Window - maybe you can do the same way would be amazing

Anyway the software has some other things that work better and faster than photoshop so the time is saved elsewhere :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I guess I'm missing something with the refine edges. The way I see it, unless you have identical images, ie; duplicated, the same parameters or settings in Refine edges just will not work very well. It's not like contrast, or color adjustments. Most of the time each image will require some fine tuning on the selection. Even very similar images, there's enough of a variance where settings for the previous just doesn't work, and need some adjusting. 

I'll agree that maybe saving the cleared checkbox for matte edges, and the type of preview might help. Beyond that, moving any of the sliders will not work from one image to the next, at least doesn't for me. 

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 weeks later...

+1

I need this too - when I'm working on a batch of photos, the photos are usually similar enough that the same refine tool settings will serve well as a starting point, with only minor tweaks, for each photo.

I was just about to conclude that Affinity at long last can go into action as my main editing software, and finally getting rid of Photoshop CS6, but this curious omission is a dealbreaker when processing 50+ photos a day - it's just so much quicker when not having to go into each and every setting every time.

In Photoshop I can batch process photos using actions containing refine settings - I don't see how that is possible in Affinity Photo if it can't remember the settings.

Please push this at the top of the priority list - pretty please! 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for this feature. Stunned it's not there. 

On 12/24/2020 at 10:09 PM, Ron P. said:

Well I guess I'm missing something with the refine edges. The way I see it, unless you have identical images, ie; duplicated, the same parameters or settings in Refine edges just will not work very well. It's not like contrast, or color adjustments. Most of the time each image will require some fine tuning on the selection. Even very similar images, there's enough of a variance where settings for the previous just doesn't work, and need some adjusting. 

Yet the default selected settings are so poor as to require extensive re-adjustments for every single selection always. If the defaults were closer to a good selection, perhaps I could overlook the lack of being able to save settings*. 

I'm currently creating a set of paintbrushes with transparent backgrounds, which requires shooting and isolating individual brushes. The refine settings, in their default state, leave me with a mess of uneven heavily feathered soft edges. I have over a hundred brushes to individually select. The edges don't have to be perfect, but they've got to be much better than amateur. In this situation, the ability to save my settings would unquestionably result in a significantly more streamlined workflow. I don't think anyone would argue about that.

So I'll throw in an extra +1 for this feature, with an extra note of stunnedness that it doesn't already exist. 

*actually... probably not. 

• 2 weeks later...

I´m very glad to see that version 1.9 of AP is out, and AP becoming a more and more polished product, but yet I am very disappointed to see that the Selection Brush tool hasn´t been improved - not only does it not remember the refine settings, but the settings dialogue box doesn´t  remember its placement on the screen either.

Imagine having to process 50-100 photos, and having to repeat the same settings and nudge the dialogue box every time. Photoshop wins easily, no contest, yet AP is soooo close...! It is really frustrating, and I hope this will be put at the top of the list now.

I´ll offer a design improvement to one-up Photoshop in this area simultaneously:

It would be great if Serif could introduce presets for the "refine" settings in the Selection Brush tool, like a drop-down menu for often-used user settings which we can give descriptive titles - this would seriously speed up my workflow, and give AP the upper hand vs. Photoshop. (to clarify - presets for the dialogue window with settings for feathering, smoothness, output to new layer with mask etc.)

Its always been an enigma to me why so many people seem so obsessed about brush presets in Photoshop, settings that I personally never use, yet it doesn´t have presets for the Selection Brush - Refine tool - that I use ALL THE TIME...

Go figure...

Please, please, please fix this 🙂

Edited by mbrakes
edited for clarification and spelling errors

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Totally agree that this should be in a top priority to save your default settings for all the refine tools.

I am having big delay for my project since I will be doing this for every selection that I do, needing to change the smoothing parameter and the Matte edges everytime to fix the jagged pixels with the freehand selection tool.