You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag image into canvas with resizing

Hi, im new to Affinity and I like it a lot.

In photoshop when you drag a file from folder directly onto a canvas youre working on - it resizes to the same size as canvas which is very convenient

In Affinity photo when you drag it it keeps its original size and its very painful to resize it each time. Also sometimes it simply gets pasted somewhere outside the canvas and its not even easy to locate it.

Is there any way to drag the file onto canvas and make it resize to fit it?

• 2 months later...

Same here; every damn time you drag and drop an image into Affinity canvas, its dumped in full size and you have to zoom out and scale back the image inside the canvas again (and no i don't want to use the place option in the menu as the default file viewer is very impractical compared to just drag, its after all a "windows drag & Drop" OS, im using :-)

Again and again, hundreds times a day, so if there is no option to drag and fit the size inside the canvas automatically and as default (as in Photoshop), I will move back to Photoshop right away...

And... on top of that you have to change you tool to Move tool every time as well, - is there no way to make you own default tool, mine is for sure not to be the view tool, that's already very  handy the space bar short cut... 

Please make this standard...

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, malayali said:

It'll be a very useful feature if implemented. @GabrielM

Personally, I would find it not at all useful if for example I dropped a 600x400 px raster image file onto a U.S. legal pad sized Affinity canvas (2550x4200px) & it automatically resized to cover the entire canvas.

What I would find useful for placing images is if I just click to place rather than clicking & dragging to place & resize the image on the canvas, it would place its upper left corner where I clicked instead of its center.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Personally, I would find it not at all useful if for example I dropped a 600x400 px raster image file onto a U.S. legal pad sized Affinity canvas (2550x4200px) & it automatically resized to cover the entire canvas.

What I would find useful for placing images is if I just click to place rather than clicking & dragging to place & resize the image on the canvas, it would place its upper left corner where I clicked instead of its center.

Maybe an option for it. Thus depending on the user's needs, they can turn it on/off. For me, it's a very handy feature.

Linktree | Freebies

Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher | 1.10.6
Windows 10 Home (64 bit) Version 22H2
Intel i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30 GHz (4 CPUs) | NVIDIA GeForce 940M | Intel HD Graphics 520 | 16GB RAM

On 4/3/2019 at 10:37 PM, R C-R said:

I didn't mean to stretch it if the image is smaller than canvas - only the other way around - when canvas is smaller and the image you're dragging in is way bigger. Then we have a problem.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm doing a trial version and that is the MAJOR feature I need to replace my InDesign files.  I create books of cartoons and creating card submissions.  Without the auto-resizing of my image, this software is worth $0 to me.   On to the next software trial to replace indesign. 

12 minutes ago, Lynick said:

Without the auto-resizing of my image, this software is worth $0 to me.

Not entirely sure what Auto-resizing of an image is but there is the ability to use a Master page with a Picture frame on it which will size the placed images to the maximum, the minimum, leave at 100% or distort to fill the frame.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...

I would also appreciate an auto-resize feature for images that are larger than the canvas. I always have to zoom the canvas out and then resize. It's not a deal-breaker, because I absolutely love Affinity Designer/Photo, but it is aggravating every time. I'm a web designer and always dropping giant stock photos into my concepts, so it adds that extra resize step every time.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Glenda B said:

Has anyone else had issues with files being “broken” (for the want of another word, when dragging file down to size? It seems to take sections of design and drop it elsewhere. I’m using png files usually. 

Your description sounds like a screen redraw problem. I find that when this happens if I change the zoom up and down then the image looks okay.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 6 months later...