You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto Trace In Affinity Designer

17 hours ago, moontan said:

AD is still relatively new and i'm sure there are many people waiting for their each of their favorite feature to be implemented.
i'm using Inskape for that feature alone when i need it for the time being.

AD is not relatively new.  Most of AD is taken from Serif's now discontinued DrawPlus which was around for many years prior to AD.  This particular feature was actually in DrawPlus.  It was awful though.  That's probably why it, and some other features that people continue to ask for didn't make it into Affinity Designer.

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Kuttyjoe said:

Most of AD is taken from Serif's now discontinued DrawPlus which was around for many years prior to AD

None of the Affinity codebase is taken from the legacy codebase.... so your source for this is???

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Kuttyjoe, based on this new reply you seem to have meant to suggest that most of the feature set of Designer is based on the list of features that were available in DrawPlus - but that is not how I would interpret what you actually wrote, mainly due to the first two sentences (there is no reference to "features" in those sentences and I see nothing in the post to imply that it was limited to that).

When I first read your previous reply, with or without the context of what moontan wrote, I would have reacted essentially the same way that @Patrick Connor did, and still would.  The way it is worded seems to suggest that the Affinity line is somehow a continuation of the Plus line, and that is not true...

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

@Kuttyjoe, based on this new reply you seem to have meant to suggest that most of the feature set of Designer is based on the list of features that were available in DrawPlus - but that is not how I would interpret what you actually wrote, mainly due to the first two sentences (there is no reference to "features" in those sentences and I see nothing in the post to imply that it was limited to that).

When I first read your previous reply, with or without the context of what moontan wrote, I would have reacted essentially the same way that @Patrick Connor did, and still would.  The way it is worded seems to suggest that the Affinity line is somehow a continuation of the Plus line, and that is not true...

The reference to features is of course in Moontan's comment.  He mentions features several times.  I quoted that, and and responded to it.  Logically, I'm also talking about features.  Moontan didn't mention code.  I didn't mention code.

• Staff

Please can we move on now. KuttyJoe has made his point.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 4 weeks later...

Auto trace is a feature that is generally expected from a graphic designer tool dealing with vectors. Both industry leading software in India - Adobe Illustrator and COREL DRAW have quite extensive support of auto trace with different types of good presets.

This feature alone makes the affinity designer not appealing to graphic designer.