You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto Trace In Affinity Designer

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

@izBrett

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forum :)

While we can't do better than a free application then implementing this will take a lower priority. I'm sure we will have something amazing one day.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

That's true but Inkscape is a full program. I may be silly but I don't really want to install another full program. Are there other options that are free or cheap that work JUST for tracing images?

Thanks!

PS yes, I would love it is AD could have it added!

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

Damn, I was gorgeous back in 1991!

I have tried vectorizer.io which seems to be free (with ads) for up to 3 images/hour and does a pretty good job. This isn't stretching it's abilities, of course! 

1.PNG

2.PNG

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

In fact, I may be very dumb but I wonder if this would be something that Serif would be interested in incorporating (if that's even what an API is!) https://www.vectorizer.io/api/

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2018 at 4:53 PM, Patrick Connor said:

While we can't do better than a free application then implementing this will take a lower priority. I'm sure we will have something amazing one day.

@Patrick Connor In my opinion, it might be good enough to be equally good as a free application. :-)

If you consequently refuse to implement anything that is not superior to free tools, then you should not have included the alignment function at all (because it is not better, in fact it is far off from being as good as the one in Inkscape, I am afraid)...

Sorry for my hard words, I really like AD, but thats my honest opinion.

10 hours ago, p10n said:

@Patrick Connor In my opinion, it might be good enough to be equally good as a free application. :-)

If you consequently refuse to implement anything that is not superior to free tools, then you should not have included the alignment function at all (because it is not better, in fact it is far off from being as good as the one in Inkscape, I am afraid)...

Sorry for my hard words, I really like AD, but thats my honest opinion.

Eh? That makes no sense. You can't live without  an align tool nor can you export that functionality to another party though you can export this vector tracing. It's a question of priorities. AD is a steal at the price so you do need to kind of take that into account and there's really no need to be taking them to task about it. They need to decide what order to do things and they are right to say that, since there is a good free alternative, they would put this to the back of the queue. It's a shame but really, I don't think they are doing anything wrong by being open and honest about it. 

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

On 12/17/2018 at 9:01 PM, Phil_rose said:

That's true but Inkscape is a full program. I may be silly but I don't really want to install another full program. Are there other options that are free or cheap that work JUST for tracing images?

There are, you just have to do a Google internet search about tracers etc., but most people tend to be too lazy or simple minded to do so!

Both tracing tool sites above give also hints to GUI frontend tools for those, libraries, other prog language conversions ... and so on. - On the Mac I sometimes use DragPotrace which is a GUI frontend to potrace.

dragpotrace.thumb.jpg.7ddbfec1ddd2f8cfd6b47540a8f39977.jpg

On Windows I use my own programmed C# based frontends to this, though there are also other GUI frontends available on Win. There are also tools which use autotrace instead, which can trace in color and also offers center-curve generation. One can also make some Win Powershell script and use the standalone commandline tools instead. - There are already a bunch of possibilities, but you have to search/look after them on the net!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

-t, --turdsize <n> - suppress speckles of up to this size (default 2)

See the potrace options overview here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

Eh? That makes no sense. You can't live without  an align tool [...]

@Phil_rose Of course it is fair for Serif to set priorities. I was just satirizing a little over Patricks reasoning. Yes, AD is definitely a bargain.

6 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

Speckles??? This is just getting worse!

The turdsize parameter can be used to “despeckle” the bitmap to be traced, by removing all curves whose enclosed area is below the given threshold. Figure 7 shows the result of applying turdsize=3 to a bitmap. The current default for the turdsize parameter is 2; its useful range is from 0 to infinity.

Maybe you should read some of this in order to get some insights:

Technical documentation

• For detailed usage information, see the man pages of potrace(1) and mkbitmap(1).
  • A detailed technical description of how the Potrace algorithm works [pdf].
  • Technical documentation of the Potrace library API (for developers) [pdf].

• Staff

I spent 1 year of my PhD time on this topic and will enjoy that reading @v_kyr, thanks

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

10 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Maybe you should read some of this in order to get some insights:

Technical documentation

• For detailed usage information, see the man pages of potrace(1) and mkbitmap(1).
  • A detailed technical description of how the Potrace algorithm works [pdf].
  • Technical documentation of the Potrace library API (for developers) [pdf].

Ah, but I'm not technically adept nor interested in such aspects. I'm a photographer and designer rather than a programmer. I'm more interested in puerile humour. You see, 'turd' is a euphemism for faeces and so, to a childish person like myself, 'turdsize' is funny and 'speckles' just makes it more so. 

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

10 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I spent 1 year of my PhD time on this topic and will enjoy that reading @v_kyr, thanks

Then you should feel right at home when reading the algorithmic descriptions!

2 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

Ah, but I'm not technically adept nor interested in such aspects. I'm a photographer and designer rather than a programmer. I'm more interested in puerile humour. You see, 'turd' is a euphemism for faeces and so, to a childish person like myself, 'turdsize' is funny and 'speckles' just makes it more so. 

Ok, didn't gave the used namings there that much attention, since as a dev I was more interested in it's overall working implementation and how to (re)use it's library API then.  - Or in other words, I was looking for other syntactic sugar there.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking forward to this feature soonest, too.

---------------------
Saying with a loud voice, "Fear God, and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." (Revelation 14:7)

他大聲說:「應當敬畏神,將榮耀歸給祂!因祂施行審判的時候已經到了。應當敬拜那創造天地海和眾水泉源的。」(啟14:7)

---------------------

• 6 months later...

Wow! Why am I here - because Auto-trace is a feature I have grown to assume core in any Illustrator style vector program and was hunting to find...thinking its apparent absence was my not reading the interface correctly. 

I've moved from a Full Adobe creative Studio subscription  because I really could not justify the annual costs and in its place got  Free Da Vinci Resolve for Video ( great) , Affinity Photo for Pixel work (Still learning, some niggles but at the price point I am very happy) and initially Inkscape, but found its UI so wretchedly archaic, I bought Affinity Designer... and uninstalled Inkscape.

Don't get me wrong, I think Designer has some fab and unexpected tools, many not replicated in the premium products , but as an ex-Corel and Illustrator user, a photographer and natural media artist, my start point on vector work has often been autotrace. That it is should be missing entirely - never mind monochrome I would expect colour as standard - ... .I am beyond shocked. Seriously, Affinity Designer, does not have the feature at all?

The argument that there is low priority in implementing any functionality that comes as standard in a cheaper tool (in this case free) simply because that tool does it perfectly well is beyond absurd. 

Customer bulletin from "Rolls"

Dear Customer - we have today learned that you can buy a Nissan runabout with perfectly good air conditioning. With immediate effect, we shall no longer give high priority to developing air conditioning solutions for new models but would like to take this opportunity to reassure owners customers that the inclusion of wind-down windows is not affected.

For days of heat, customers are advised to install a Nissan Micra in their garage.

• Staff

@Megabtye

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. Was the forum username a deliberate misspelling? (or would you like it tweaking?)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

On 8/31/2019 at 2:03 PM, Megabtye said:

I am beyond shocked. Seriously, Affinity Designer, does not have the feature at all?

AD is still relatively new and i'm sure there are many people waiting for their each of their favorite feature to be implemented.
i'm using Inskape for that feature alone when i need it for the time being.