You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can not import photos from camera to Affinity

• Staff

Hi William, 

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately its not possible to import images from your camera directly into Affinity you will have to import them to a location on your computer then open them with Affinity.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Why should you want to open directly from the camera? Such a procedure is fraught with pitfalls. It is much safer and reliable to copy your photos from camera to disk before even thinking about post-processing.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

And - it's not a bad idea to always work on a copy of your image and keep the original intact!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

11 hours ago, William Swaney said:

I have spent 34 dollars for nothing , I would like to import photos from my camera to my pc computer  with your soft ware but it can not be done , so what's  up with your soft ware any way?

William Swaney 

I can open images directly from my camera or from my iPad.

pc.png.c7081ff803a54368a9b8bda367fb989e.png

When I go File >  Open from inside Photo, I get this.

cam.png.421f2564f1788d3b74a75c8e5e1ea438.png

If I double click on the file, it opens directly into Photo. I immediately save the opened picture to a folder on my PC (from Photo) edit it how I want, save it again with the changes I make and so on.

Photo is a great way to edit photographs, so what's the problem? did you not buy Photo to edit photographs ?

Photo is not a DAM program, so if you bought Photo to manage and organise your photos, then I'm afraid you did waste your money. There or lots of image management  programs that do that, some are free. I use Faststone Image Viewer to manage my photos, that was free and not only is it very good at managing lots of photos, it even has some quite impressive image editing features. It is nowhere near as good as Photo for editing though. It's simply a matter of using the right tool for the job. 

I bought Photo to do professional quality editing on my photographs and it was worth every single penny. And I spent more than 34 dollars >:(

@John Rostron  I don't always bother to load pictures onto my computer first as because it has an SSD the storage is smaller than a big hard disc. I just make sure I save the the photos I want to use immediately and back them up before I delete them from the camera disc.

Works for me :D

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, toltec said:

@John Rostron  I don't always bother to load pictures onto my computer first as because it has an SSD the storage is smaller than a big hard disc. I just make sure I save the the photos I want to use immediately and back them up before I delete them from the camera disc.

Works for me :D

Maybe it works for you, but I will stick with my more reliable procedure of copying the camera images to my big hard disk first. I then have a quick look to delete any duds before anything else.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

8 hours ago, toltec said:

If I double click on the file, it opens directly into Photo. I immediately save the opened picture to a folder on my PC (from Photo) edit it how I want, save it again with the changes I make and so on.

AFAIK, as long as you remember to do that, it should avoid creating any problems with your camera's storage media. As I understand it, that is because by saving it to your PC you are no longer working directly on an open file saved to the storage media. But if you don't immediately do that, you risk corrupting files (note the plural!) on the removable storage media.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 minutes ago, R C-R said:

AFAIK, as long as you remember to do that, it should avoid creating any problems with your camera's storage media. As I understand it, that is because by saving it to your PC you are no longer working directly on an open file saved to the storage media. But if you don't immediately do that, you risk corrupting files (note the plural!) on the removable storage media.

I think as well, it's an age thing.

When I started taking photos, film was quite expensive (for me) so I tended to spend time thinking about what would look good, composition and all that. Modern digital photography seems more about blasting away, taking hundreds of pictures just to find (or create) a good one. Nothing wrong with that if it works for you but I do wonder about the time spend taking, storing and editing thousands of pictures. I mean, who ever looks at them or has the time?

I remember nothing more boring than having to watch a slide show of uncle Fred's holiday snaps or someone's wedding. I prefer half a dozen pictures of something worth looking at. No attention span, you see :(. Therefore I don't end up with hundreds of pictures on my camera which makes opening one directly from the camera no problem. As long as I do save it straight away. 

I'm certainly not saying that's the best practice and was mainly trying to answer the OP's questions as he could not seem to open a file directly from his camera. Or maybe the OP did expect Photo to be a photo managing program rather than a photo manipulation program?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

That's usually the moment where very fast cardreaders or wireless transmitters come into play. ;)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

16 minutes ago, toltec said:

I think as well, it's an age thing.

When I started taking photos, film was quite expensive (for me) so I tended to spend time thinking about what would look good, composition and all that.

My first "real" camera was a secondhand Nikkorex F film camera, the only SLR I could afford back in the day. That camera has zero automatic features -- not even a built-in light meter! So for me, the "all that" part included figuring out which shutter speed & f-stop combinations would not waste film.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

I just downloaded a free trial of Affinity .  When I connect my camera to my laptop nothing happens when I go into Affinity Photo.  This is unusual for me as I'm used to connecting my camera directly to my laptop and transferring photos into Nikon's ViewNX2 by simply clicking 'Transfer' when ViewNX2 opens automatically.  I have it preset to only transfer the recent files.  So one Click and I'm done.  Why make it complicated?  Everything is stored on my C drive in Windows 10.  Easy peasy!  What is the process here?  How can I transfer my photos?  It doesn't seem very intuitive to me.  I'm just a hobbyist, this seems complicated to me.  There is no place to just click on some equivalent of 'Transfer' and be done with it???  Can you take me through the steps here?  Thanks for any suggestions!

@Diane Davies

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

As explained earlier in this thread, Affinity Photo is not really designed to link direct to your camera in order to download your pictures. It is an "editor", i.e. software for manipulating those pictures once they are on your computer.

You mention that you have previously used Nikon's ViewNX2 to transfer your photos to your computer; is there any reason why you cannot continue to do this?  The following is my method, slightly simplified, for downloading and saving my photos:  I have a Canon camera and use the dedicated Canon software, EOS Utility, to download the images from my camera to a folder that I designate on one of my hard drives.  I create a new folder for each set of pictures, e.g. "Norfolk Holiday", tell EOS Utility to download the chosen pictures to that folder and then let it get on with it.  Once downloaded I can then open them at will in Affinity Photo for any "editing" I wish to do.

You say I have it preset to only transfer the recent files.  Clearly, there is nothing wrong with this approach but, since this suggests you actually leave ALL your photos on your camera's memory card, depending on the camera (and the size of each image) and the capacity of your memory card, there will come a time, eventually, when the card is full and no more pictures can be saved to it.  Although I have a large, 128GB card in my camera, once I am happy the files are all safely and properly transferred to and saved on my computer, I use my camera's own internal software to format the memory card, thus completely clearing it and leaving maximum space for future photos.  You do not need to do this, but this approach suits me!

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.