You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert embedded fonts to curves when opening a file.

I ran into a situation where we were delivered files (AI and PDF) from another design agency where the embedded fonts were not on our machines and were replaced with system fonts. I'm looking for the ability to have Designer give the option to convert to fonts to curves when opening a file where fonts are not on the system. At the moment, we need to open the file in another application and save as an EPS then bring into Designer.

Thanks for your consideration.

As I explained in your earlier thread, the Affinity apps don’t currently interpret fonts embedded in PDF documents. Without that interpretation, there is no way to determine what the curves should look like if the fonts are not on the system.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

As I explained in your earlier thread, the Affinity apps don’t currently interpret fonts embedded in PDF documents. Without that interpretation, there is no way to determine what the curves should look like if the fonts are not on the system.

Right, that's why I added it here in the "suggestions" thread. It's a feature I, (and I'm sure others,) would like to see implemented. That's what this thread is for, correct? If I'm wrong, please let me know and I'll move it. 

2 hours ago, JoeISP said:

[the option to convert to fonts to curves when opening a file is] a feature I, (and I'm sure others,) would like to see implemented.

I’d like to see it too, Joel! My point was that it requires the Affinity apps to have the ability to interpret embedded fonts, and if they could do that then we could mostly just import PDF files with all of their editable text intact, rather than converting text to curves and thereby conserving its appearance but making it uneditable.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

Do y'all, as an agency, have either Acrobat or pdfToolbox? 

We do. We use SAi Flexi to run our printers and plotters which opens it and renders everything as curves which is what I was hoping Designer could do. I had to bring the logo into Flexi and save it back out as an EPS to bring into Designer to put in on the graphics I'm working on only to send it back to Flexi. Not the worst thing in the world, but it does slow things down a bit. 

12 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’d like to see it too, Joel! My point was that it requires the Affinity apps to have the ability to interpret embedded fonts, and if they could do that then we could mostly just import PDF files with all of their editable text intact, rather than converting text to curves and thereby conserving its appearance but making it uneditable.

I gotcha. I'm just asking Serif dev's to consider adding the capability so we have that option when bringing in a file where the fonts are missing. I mentioned above we have SAi Flexi that runs our printers and plotters which does exactly that when it encounters a file with a font that's not on the system. A lot of other apps do it, I'd just rather have the option to do it in Designer which is where I do the majority of my work.

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

It's relatively painless and quick to convert fonts in a PDF to curves in both Acrobat (especially DC) and is one-click in pdfToolbox. That aside from fixing all sorts of other ills from PDFs. Likely this would be quicker than using Flexi.

Thanks MikeW. I should have done just that.

Working in a agency which publish magazines with ads, for me is it extremely nessecary to import pdf into affinity publisher.  It makes a difference if I open a PDF to edit it (like in affinity designer) or if I make a publication by embedding a lot of files. In this case it is a key feature of the application. In InDesign and QuarkXpress is it possible to import pdfs with embedded fonts it without any conversions - and any issues. So if affinity will not take care on this feature, users like me will have a hard time deciding for afpub. It would be a pity, because I really like  the affinty apps.

On 11/29/2018 at 7:02 PM, IllusionStudio said:

Working in a agency which publish magazines with ads, for me is it extremely nessecary to import pdf into affinity publisher.  It makes a difference if I open a PDF to edit it (like in affinity designer) or if I make a publication by embedding a lot of files. In this case it is a key feature of the application. In InDesign and QuarkXpress is it possible to import pdfs with embedded fonts it without any conversions - and any issues. So if affinity will not take care on this feature, users like me will have a hard time deciding for afpub. It would be a pity, because I really like  the affinty apps.

Hello everyone.

I totally agree with IllusionStudio's point of view. This function is absolutely fundamental.

I just tested this issue with the latest Publisher beta and it does not work. Publisher always interprets the pdf file and missing fonts are lost. It's really very boring.

It is urgent to propose an alternative import without interpretation of the contents of a pdf to be able to claim to compete InDesign or Xpress. And if this option was part of the three software, it would be perfect because I have already often pestered having to open a pdf in my old Photoshop to work around this problem.

I also really like Affinity products and I would be really bored if this feature was not part of Publisher when it was released.

• 6 months later...

Hey all, here is a good workaround if you have Acrobat still:

In short, you can add a 0% opacity watermark to trick Acrobat into thinking there has been an amendment to the PDF, then you can go to Flattener Preview and convert fonts to outlines with a tick box. It only works if you add a watermark first though.

Edited by Mango