You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Use the file name instead of "Background" for first layer in new documents?

Hi,

It would be useful if – when opening a photo in Affinity Photo – the initial layer would not be re-named as "Background" but just keep the file name. Automatically re-naming is not that useful in my humble opinion. Isn't it obvious that the bottom layer is the background anyway? It would make more sense so see what image was used.

There is a setting called "automatically lock background layer", there would be a good place for an option "automatically re-name background layer".

My main use case is to compose an image from multiple photos. Usually one base photo and then smaller portions of other photos. Mostly in 16bit tif. To avoid excessive file sizes, I copy and paste the portions in to the main document.

The result is that every pasted layer is called "Background" and I lose track from wich photo it is. This is the workflow when editing the main image:

1. For a new layer, open a new photo in a new tab in Photo 
2. Make a selection and copy to clipboard 
3. Switch to main image and paste

I've attached screenshots to illustrate what I mean.

Thanks

1.jpg

2.jpg