You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

editing HSL vector element > pixel element after export

I have a tried to edit a logo via adjustment layer (HSL) to make some color shifts. (the logo is pretty complex so no chance to select elements and assigning new colors by hand)

Unfortunately the file turns into a pixel-based file after exporting it as pdf.

I was wondering if this is the way it works? Is there a way to maintain the vector-file? 

Alternatively: is there a way to make global color shifts besides using the adjustment layer?

• Staff

Hi @papartig,

Welcome to the forums. 

The adjustment layers are raster layers and will rasterise anything that's linked to them. They do not exist in a vector space.

You can try using shapes with different opacity levels and different blend modes at a higher level in the layer stack to achieve the same effect. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

thanks for this info and your quick response!

I wasn't´t aware of this downside of adjustment layers. I tried your advice with using blend modes. unfortunately the results are very unspecifiec regarding the exact color shifts... at least in this case it doesn´t work well!

I may be wrong, but  isn´t there a function in illustrator to edit colors by playing around with the color wheel...? 

I really can not understand why HSL adjustments turn vector into rater-images? I mean: vector is the form while colors are just the fill - why does editing the fill is leading to changing the form from vector to pixel? If anyone can give more information on that I would really love to understand the technical background!

Hi, papartig,

If the Logo has only solid fills, they can be turned into global colors. Every instance of a global color is changed when the color is edited, which can be done w. HSL sliders. However, each color needs to be done individually, AFAIK. Gradient fills don't update in my experience.

My understanding of Designers vectors is that neither the fill or the stroke are vectors. The vectors are the areas defined by the paths connecting the nodes. The stroke and fills are separate attributes made by pixel paint routines around and within the vector, assuming those routines are supported by whatever format to which one exports the file.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet