You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installing Affinity Designer Beta requires product key!?!

I'm very curious of all the enhancements to Affinity Designer in it's next official update (1.7.XX). I purchased my current Affinity Designer 1.6.1 through the Mac App Store. I therefore have no product keys available to unlock and use the Beta, after installing it through the forum link. Unlike the splash-screen suggested, there is no possibility —as I am aware of— to install Beta through the MAS.

Please respond by email, as I am very willing to participate in the Beta program, as I have done during the full lifecycle of Affinity Designer.

Hi eab

If you have Designer form the Mac App Store installed on your machine than it should just pick it up that you have that and run the beta. The product key should only be required if you have the version directly from our Affinity store. 

Is you MAS version installed and placed within your applications folder? If it is somewhere else this may be causing it not to be found by the beta

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thank you for the quick reply. Both programs are currently at top-level (not nested) within the Applications Folder. Proper splash screen obscured by request for Product Key as  seen in attached screen captures. What can I do to resolve this issue?

242515491_Schermafbeelding2018-11-28om10_21_24.thumb.png.92e47bfe33f269b0eaadac3d4a9b3b7f.png

154138576_Schermafbeelding2018-11-28om10_14_50.thumb.png.15ccbc5a5e493438be2502d9bdd71d46.png

• Staff

If you rename "Affinity Designer 1.6.1" back to the default name of "Affinity Designer" then the ADe 1.7 beta can find it and should run without the request for a key.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thank you for resolving this "issue" so quickly. It is due to my personal perfectionism that I add any version numbers to the software I use, Just to check to be in perfect sync. As a developer myself, I want to work on the best possible version of software 'YET'. I will start using this Beta as soon as I can. Have a nice day for everyone!!!!!

On 11/28/2018 at 3:57 AM, Patrick Connor said:

If you rename "Affinity Designer 1.6.1" back to the default name of "Affinity Designer" then the ADe 1.7 beta can find it and should run without the request for a key.

Just curious but would altering the name of the local copy of the retail app also interfere with MAS offering retail app updates because the name is different?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Just curious but would altering the name of the local copy of the retail app also interfere with MAS offering retail app updates because the name is different?

No, AFAIK the OS notices the rename and still updates through the Mac App Store (not sure you can keep a copy of an old build though). Windows hides the location of Windows store purchases to avoid these problems and it probably doesn't like them being moved.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.