You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Leather Templates (Clipping/ Masks/ Artboards)

This should be so easy but can't seem to figure it out.  I am trying to use designer to create a graphic larger than a single sheet of printable sized paper.  Print the graphic and tape it together for a leather cutting template.  the graphic would cover 4 A4 sized sheets of paper so I setup 4 artboards sized at A4.  I draw my image below to scale and I believe I should be able to "Clip" the image 4 times and drag the clipped regions up to the artboards for printing and assembly.  This is at least how I believe it should work but can't seem to figure it out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I use this software only for creating my leather templates and now my templates are getting bigger and I am stuck.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted my web searching on this matter.  Thanks

The only way I can get this to work it to copy the image 4 times on top of itself and clip out the four corners and drag it up to my boards as each clipped image disappears after it is clipped.  This just doesn't seem to be elegant there must be a better way to do what I am trying to accomplish.

6 hours ago, rgwmike said:

This should be so easy but can't seem to figure it out.  I am trying to use designer to create a graphic larger than a single sheet of printable sized paper.  Print the graphic and tape it together for a leather cutting template.  the graphic would cover 4 A4 sized sheets of paper so I setup 4 artboards sized at A4. 

The easiest way would be to design your templates at the correct size, then turn them into smaller pages which you can stick together.

This is called Tiled Printing. There are online services that create the pages for you. Upload an A2 file or something similar, and you will get a PDF back split into multiple printable pages. You just need a pair of scissors and some sticky tape.

This is one of the best known services

http://posterizer.online/rasterbator/

I suppose you could use slices, but getting the document 'tiled' would be so much easier. Why make life difficult?

Apparently, Acrobat Reader can print tiled pages, so you could create a PDF in Designer and use Acrobat. It's free. I've never done it, so if you try, let us know please :)

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-posters-banners-acrobat-reader.html

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Couldn't you export the whole design as a pdf and use acrobat reader to tile print? : https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-posters-banners-acrobat-reader.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions