You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Numbered List Override Text

I posted this in the "Bugs" forum, but it appears that any solution is far too complex. All I want is a way to override the first word in a number list so I can make it say bold oblique without affecting the number, and that cannot be done. Please add the functionality. Thanks.

Hi Mr. K.

Here is a workaround: Open the Glyph Browser and insert the character named "Glyph 1" before the "S" letter (using the same font that the text in your list). Now you can select the word "Step" and apply any style you want. The "Glyph 1" character does not add any extra space. The style of the number remains as it is.

I don't see any character named "Glyph 1." Can you add a screen shot? Any Glyph I added from the browser did not work as you say. Also, I found a simple workaround and added that to the other post.

Thanks, I see what you are doing now. On my Mac Glyph 1 adds a space, but Glyph 2 does not, and then I can (carefully) select the first word by itself. This is a good workaround. Thanks for figuring it out.

I still ask for my wish to have Affinity fix this. I should be able to select and override the first word in a numbered list just as I can any other word in the numbered list.

• 4 years later...

This "work around" means you can change the number independently of the first word too. I'm not sure how that could work if the selection worked as you would like it to. I had the same thought as you, but then realised that the "work around" permits two options, and "fix" to the problem would eliminate the less frequently used ... that is changing the style of the number and not the first word.

MacBook Pro, Retina, mid-2015, macOS Monteray, RAM: 16 GB, CPU Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 2,8 GHz. Monitor: 27" (3840 × 2160) DELL U2723QE