You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Foliage Brushes

junovhs

Kudos! Argh, am out of likes, today...

Seems useful for speeding up realistic and stylized projects.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

39 minutes ago, SrPx said:

Argh, am out of likes, today...

Again!! :D

I don’t know why there’s a limit. I can’t imagine that many of us regularly use enough ‘Likes’ to run out of them.

Edit: I see that these brushes are only available to purchase. It would be nice to have a free subset to try out.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think there's some reasons behind the limit, like, maybe not saturating the system somehow, or so that people don't just hit 'like' to a ton of things, making them being more thoughtful/selective so that the best posts get easily detected (it has the counter part that one might not hit a 'like' for a really good post, and is too lazy/lacks of time to dig some other posts with previously set 'likes', or simply, not loving that action itself).  Could initially be to avoid a mob of users cornering someone for whatever the reason... but this community has proven to me that is not very fond of hitting the negative emoticons. They are being used only rarely (not giving ideas, lol...)... But...that said, I think around 20 likes/day would be a better approach (haven't seen a limit of likes in other social media systems, if I remember well...)

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

10 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I don’t know why there’s a limit. I can’t imagine that many of us regularly use enough ‘Likes’ to run out of them.

OH! . Me. Every single day. :D

And is extremely rare that I'd hit the "confused" or "sad" emoticon...

53 minutes ago, SrPx said:

Kudos! Argh, am out of likes, today...

Seems useful for speeding up realistic and stylized projects.

Hey SrPx, thanks! We have a lot of products for Procreate we'd like to port over to Affinity - we're kind of new to vector illustration, do most people prefer vector brushes or raster? Deciding which sets to do next!

Just now, junovhs said:

Hey SrPx, thanks! We have a lot of products for Procreate we'd like to port over to Affinity - we're kind of new to vector illustration, do most people prefer vector brushes or raster? Deciding which sets to do next!

I'm a basic brush kind of artist (I just play with flow to get my oil/digital paint look), but sometimes use special brushes when time is very tight (so, these come very handy in those situations).  

In other type of situation, is when I REALLY want a traditional feel, like if I were handling a real brush ink, a copic, pentel, or just oil/watercolors. I know there are digital painting software for that, but I am defender of using general image editing apps for illustration. Also, almost completely raster applications, so I am not the best one to ask that, as I believe most illustrators tend to prefer vector tools like Designer (or Adobe Illustrators). I'm a mix of a digital painter and a realistic illustrator: I'm all for Photo, here. ( I do vector work, but mostly design). I don't know how are the demographics, but I see people using a lot custom brushes in both Photo and Designer. You'd probably widen your scope providing both versions.

I was seeing your catalog, by curiosity, hours ago. I'm not really your potential customer, as I'm a fan of basic brush setup, and then let the raw painting take care of all, but if anything, I'd see very interesting the port of :

- oil paint (probably this I would purchase. When someone asks me for a totally oil-made-but-digital portrait ( I'm specialized in portraits, as a traditional painter), this could come handy.Also, not keeping my oils in my small flat...  ;)). I'd probably mostly care to port this one to Photo.

- Markers. As designers, people working in fashion, etc, etc, use them a lot. Also because seeing the shots of the strokes there, they seem very well done....This, being most surely targeted by many designers and illustrators, I'd port to both, Designer and Photo.

- Watercolor. A very important one. I'd port to both Photo and Designer.

- Color pencils : Designer and Photo. And they quite remember me of actual pencil texture. 

- Pencils: Love the side shader and shader effect. Maybe more in Photo.

- Crayons : Lovely. And have this huge potential for kids books illustration and many styles... I think fit better in Designer, but would be very good for many artists to count on them in Photo as well.

- Ink Wash : Seems Japanese inking. I'm not into that too much, but I can see how a bunch of ppl would love those (maybe more in Designer...)
-Grunge brushes : Extremely useful, and not only in illustration, also in photo and general editing works, texture making, etc. Both apps, clearly.

-Real Charcoal : Love it. If only as reminds me from college...Seems well done, maybe mostly A.Photo...

- Natural ink: Of the likes of many, surely Designer mostly.

- Soft pastels : Well done! Both apps.

- Crosshatching: Seems good but the problem is that Affinity counts on one or two vendors for this that are totally jaw dropping... hard competition here, maybe. Both apps.

About the rest... to shorten this a bit (wow, you have a bunch, lol.... ) :

- Whispy flats : matches a very trendy style of illustration, I'd expect to seen used mostly in Designer.

- Sketch pencils : I see these interesting, too. (AP and AD)

- Lettering brushes : Interesting, again, both apps...

- Watercolor wash : Curious, for so me reasons, it did look to me more like watercolor than actual watercolor brush seen previously...must be just the samples. Both apps.

- Ballpoint pens: Loved that brush samples. If only because I actually learntto draw with those as a kid. There are artists using only these for all their whole production. Both apps.

- Rull brushes : Love this one. Not sure if I'd use these or the actual oil brushes above. I'd only use in Photo...

- Spray Paint mimic really well what an airbrush does in real life...kudos... Another temptation to grab.

- Real Gouache looks cool. I see it more used in AD.

- Sponge: Same deal

There are so many and so good, that more bundles would make sense... Maybe.

I mean, my overall view is that is best to port to both apps. But those more expected to be used in pure illustration, and certain type of graphic design, maybe more into AD, if you have to choose to optimize efforts. Those more in the land of realistic traditional painting/drawing, digital painting, specially if realistic/fantasy/etc, maybe more for Photo. (Again, I'd port to both....)

But it's only my personal opinion. Not basing this on any stats.

wow, thats an amazing list with details! Thanks so much! This has given me a lot more insight, much appreciated.

Yea, everything we've done so far is compatible with both Designer and Photo. The only things that wouldn't be, would be vector brushes (unless those also work in Photo? I assumed not but haven't actually checked)

Super inspired now, thanks again!

You are welcome ! And kudos, those are outstanding brushes.  :)