You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint a series of circles

Is there a way, with AD, to paint vector circles? That is, moving the brush would leave a path of small circles with spaces between them. The purpose would be to create a stippling like effect. This is a common facet of pixel paint brushes but I need vectors to feed into a CAD program.

Hello bpedit,

To keep the vector circles, you can draw the lines, convert them into text plots and use a font like Wingdings to type your circles by choosing the character that suits you.

Cercles vectoriels.png

Thanks! Good kludge.  I'll have to test whether I can "convert to curves" in order to move some of them around a bit to produce  a pattern more like a stipple.

Edit: This will not work. When the text is converted to curves, the resulting "circles" are composed of two concentric circles. I need simple, single line circles. Thanks for giving it a shot.

Hi, bpedit,

12 hours ago, bpedit said:

Edit: This will not work. When the text is converted to curves, the resulting "circles" are composed of two concentric circles. I need simple, single line circles....

Then use a period. Or a dotted line, w. stroke expanded.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

@bpedit, if you use for example the character "Alt + 0108", you get a full circle. Set the filling to transparent and the contour to color, adjust the thickness of the contour. When you convert to curves, the contour is not doubled.

You can also try to use a different line style and adapt the contour settings accordingly.

linestyle_contour.thumb.jpg.eea5ec7fe6507d23c73a3af9843340e8.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2