You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Draw a circle like with a compass

Hi,

I'd like to draw a circle from a center to an extremity of a line that is neither vertical or horizontal - see attached.

I'm able to center the circle where I want but fail to snapp the extremity of the line when I enlarge the circle, holding cmd+shift.

Any solutions?

is there a way to draw a circle like with a compass,  meaning one point is the center of the circle and the other point is the extremity of the radius of this circle, both points being able to be snapped?

If not, a "compass" tool where one can draw a circle by snapping 2 points, the circle center and the extremity of a radius,  would be VERY VERY handy!

Thanks!

slice1.png

59 minutes ago, >|< said:

To do it on a Mac:

1. deselect all objects then activate Ellipse Tool
  2. hold down cmd+shift and start dragging from the centre of the circle
  3. while dragging, also hold down ctrl to drag the outer end of the radius
  4. when the end of the radius is at the required location, release the mouse button and then release the keys

Hi,

thanks for your reply!

It seems what you described is what I do everytime I draw a circle.

Here, I'm looking to drag one of the dragging points of the circle  so it snaps the point I'm targetting - see image below.

Problem is the circle is only snapping at points on the horizontal or vertical axis. Or I'm definitely missing something...

Another way would be to rotate the segment around the center of the circle to the horizontal axis so I can define the radius of my circle, but I cannot snap the horizontal guide when I rotate the segment...

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 19.13.05.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 19.14.07.png

1 hour ago, >|< said:

I doubt that you are doing what I wrote. If you press ctrl after starting the drag, then you directly control the perimeter end of the radius and it can be snapped according to your snapping settings.

(Readers using Windows will need to substitute ctrl for cmd and substitute right mouse button for ctrl.)

By the way, I've edited the instructions and removed the redundant shift key from step 2

Here's an alternative rewrite:

1. deselect all objects then activate Ellipse Tool
  2. start dragging from the location that's to be the centre of the circle
  3. while dragging, hold down ctrl+cmd to control the radius of the circle
  4. when the perimeter end of the radius is at the required location, release the mouse button and then release the keys

Great!

Indeed, I was not pressing the ctrl key...

Have a great day!