You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 Newbie Questions - Colour and Saving

Hi, 

i am new to Affinity. First problem, if i load a pic into affinity it is coloured with a purple tone. I dont know why, because i cant remember that i have done any finetuning in the general settings. Second is, if i choose "save as" i cant save a jpg. I only can choose .afphoto . Anyone an idea? 

Regards

Daniel 

• Staff

Hi DS1982,

Welcome to the forums :)

To save your image as JPEG you need to go to File > Export.

With regards to the purple colour cast on your image could you provide one of the images in question?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

First question : save is different form export

save will save the document you are working on

export will have several file format (jpg, tiff, png, etc)

second question : is that not the "tone curved" checked in the "assist options" by default ? (I'm also new so not sure for this answer)

46 minutes ago, Scriblerus said:

First question : save is different form export

save will save the document you are working on

export will have several file format (jpg, tiff, png, etc)

second question : is that not the "tone curved" checked in the "assist options" by default ? (I'm also new so not sure for this answer)

For the first question: Thx. I have understand now. 
For the second: Maybe. I dont know. How can i change? Can you make me a screenshot, cause i dont use the english version and don´t know where to switch. 

In which PERSONA you are? Is this a raw? Normally AP opens any image (not RAW) in Photo-PERSONA without any adjusts... so such behavior should not happen. So check this first. Close AP and reopen this  jpeg, png, tiff... and if it opens in that way again in photo-persona, so save that file and send it to dev-team in the bug-forum.

BTW: newbies often confused that they can not edit/filter.... an imported/placed image. Thats cause AP does not raster an image by import/place. So firts raster this layer, before do edits.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

It's also possible that the difference seen between Affinity Photo and the Fotos application is due to an incorrect monitor color profile specification. Many beginning users have not profiled their monitors, nor ensured the monitor color settings are correct, but will not notice this until they start using an application such as Affinity Photo that is designed to support monitor profiles.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, DS1982 said:

While opening a pic there is an Popup from affinity, that the image has no color profile and an information the affinity put a srgb profile over it. why?

It is because every file must be displayed in some working color space. Otherwise, the color values are just numbers that do not mean much.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello @DS1982,

try the following.
I think you're use Windows
Set the color proof from Windows to sRGB IEC1966-2.1
then the colors should in Affinity-Photo be displayed correctly.

Is worth a try.

Cheers

Profil.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)