You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nikon Z6 & mirrorless lens support

I was considering moving to Affinity Photo (for Windows, from Lightroom), but on scanning this forum it seems that support for new cameras is incredibly slow to arrive. In fact I didn't see any constructive Serif responses to requests, and the latest supported camera list is from 12-2016 - not a good advert for your product.

So I can make a decision, how long is it likely to be before support for Nikon Z6 and the new mirrorless lenses arrives in Affinity Photo?

• Staff

Hi nigelj,

Welcome to the forums :)

We're currently running a beta for version 1.7 of Affinity Photo, which includes a RAW support update. We use LibRAW in the Serif Labs engine for Windows, and the 1.7 beta has the latest version of LibRAW - 0.19. The supported list of cameras can be seen here - https://www.libraw.org/supported-cameras

Unfortunately however the Nikon Z6 is not in this list currently, so your camera is not supported.

We hope that for future versions we can build our own RAW support library, so that camera compatibility isn't restricted to third party support, but we don't have an eta for this currently so I couldn't state when your camera may be supported, either by LibRAW or by our own library, my apologies.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

You may be able to convert your Z6 images to DNG and open these correctly in Affinity currently, but this cannot be guaranteed.

Unfortunately we don't have such a notification system, I'd recommend keeping an eye on our beta section of the forums, as each beta we run will show a list of updates. This can be found here - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/34-photo-beta-on-windows/

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I want to edit the RAW file...tbh I can't be bothered doing another step before I edit my photos, or have to think about how to store/manage the DNGs as well as the RAWs and other formats!

Thanks for that link, I will keep an eye on it.

BTW, the post that is linked from here is out of date (in the RAW IMage Processing section)...you may want to update the website... https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/desktop/full-feature-list/

Also AFAIK the lensfun database doesn't actually have added support for the new Z-line lenses.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Well and if you have Z-lenses and those aren't corrected, even the NEF file could maybe read in, it's equally bad. - I assume it will take some time until third party RAW software will support the new Nikon mirrorless line here, so actually Nikon Capture NX-D might be your best choice now and yet.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

The APh software relies on third party libraries here, namely LibRAW and Lensfun, so when these will offer support APh's next minor version will too.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to open nefs from my Z6 with affinity but only if i use the  "raw compressed lossless" option of the camera.

Affinity also opens the uncompresed ones but not corectly so this is useless. So if you like to open the Nef Files with affinity just use the "nef compressed lossless option ;)

I can understand the original poster's frustration. When your purchase a newly released camera, it’s typical for the image processing software to not be caught up yet. It likewise took some time for @dobe to update their own software to support the Nikon Z Series.

The suggestion to use DNG as a workaround is a very good one. The original poster said that he "can't be bothered doing another step before I edit my photos," and I empathize. But at least this approach is free, easy to implement, and quick, taking only a few short minutes after which you can continue with your normal workflow in the Affinity software you enjoy. More importantly, this approach actually works, and it’s only temporary. Worth giving a shot while waiting for Affinity Photo to catch up.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have Affinity Photo set up as the default program to open DNG files and Nikon Capture the default for NEF files, then you double-click on the NEF file, make any adjustments and save as DNG. The DNG will then automatically open in Affinity Photo.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

20 hours ago, Marcial said:

Z6 Nikon Problem with editing RAW files in Affinity Photo: Fix
https://youtu.be/X8FadyDS5Xc

Well that guy is on MacOS probably Mojave (which supports the Z6 & Z7) and converts to DNG for NEF RAW processing on APh? - He better should have tried first to switch the RAW Engine to Apple's for a more neatless overall workflow without unnecessary RAW format conversions.

27 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

...and Nikon Capture the default for NEF files, then you double-click on the NEF file, make any adjustments and save as DNG

Capture NX-D doesn't save as DNG, or did you meant instead the DNG Converter here?

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Capture NX-D doesn't save as DNG, or did you meant instead the DNG Converter here?

I got the impression from an earlier message that it did. Pease substitute any program that reads Z6 NEFs and output DNGs. Shows that I am not a Nikon user.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

21 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Shows that I am not a Nikon user.

Most enthusiast/pro Nikonians don't use an intermediate DNG format or have fallen back to NEFs here, since the quality of Nikon's own RAW software is still a notch better (which also is logical, since usually every cam vendor knows their own file format exactly and better than any third party). DNG as a more common standard would usually be fine, as far as the cam vendor would support it directly in cam (some vendors already do this). But when first converting from vendor proprietary formats (NEF, CR2 etc.) to DNG like the Adobe products do, then some finenesses and overall loading performance (due to conversion) are lost.

Nikon's software exports to TIFF/JPG but not DNG.