You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Black border in Develop with Fujifilm X-T3 RAW

Hi,

I am not sure if the Fujifilm X-T3 is officially supported, as there is no list yet with newly supported cameras.

Nevertheless, I get a strange black border either on top or bottom of my pictures, when loading in the newly 188 beta. This is with compressed .raf files. Haven't tested uncompressed.

xt3_raf_bug.thumb.JPG.c34f3a00c95c729bf5da9089e0420573.JPG

Hi Chris B,

thanks for your quick answer. I am aware of the official list, but in the 1.7 announcement thread it says: " A large number of new cameras are supported for RAW development ", so I thought I post it here, in case it's relevant for the developers.

Fingers crossed this will be fixed / supported. :)

Best regards,

Thomas

I had a similar problem with my X-T20 in october 2017. I had to update the firmware of my Fuji to clear the problem. But in your case, it's probably due to Affinity that does not support X-T3 yet.

System : i5 6600 QuadCore 3.3GHz, Gigabyte Z170 HD3 DDR4, 32 Gb DDR Ballistix Sport LT, MSI Aero ITX GTX 1050Ti, Windows 10 Pro 64bits

7 hours ago, C_Calmes said:

I had a similar problem with my X-T20 in october 2017. I had to update the firmware of my Fuji to clear the problem. But in your case, it's probably due to Affinity that does not support X-T3 yet.

We use the LensFun database currently (which is missing your X-T3 data), so if you are able and willing, you can upload calibration data here - https://wilson.bronger.org/lensfun_coverage.html

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sent an e-mail to Mr. Bronger from Lensfun in November about the X-T3 support, but got no answer yet.

What about Serif allocating some more ressources on camera support? I know that Lensfun is an external library, but that doesn't make it impossible for you to fix. I have contributed code to open source software for several years, and sometimes you just have to take a look at an external dependency, and send them a pull request with a fix/addition, in order to resolve a bug that affects your customers.

RAW development is an essential part of Affinity Photo. The X-T3 won several "Camera of the year" awards, and is mentioned as one of the best APS-C cameras on the market. Not supporting it is disaapointing and converting the RAW files with an external program is time consuming.

I have taken a look into Lensfun code and it seems that for a new camera, you only have to add the crop factor into this file: https://github.com/lensfun/lensfun/blob/4dd189fda265cd26baccf430470482d7f2528d3c/data/db/mil-fujifilm.xml

I am not sure which exact value the X-T3 has (approx 1.5), and not sure if that would fix the issue already but the lenses I use are supported and work fine in Affinity in combination with my X-T20 so it must be something missing for the X-T3.

Please try to resolve this issue. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with this.

I just uploaded three raw X-T3 images to the Dropbox address in the sticky thread but you can also just head over to DPreview and download a lot of example (Raw/JPG) images they took with different lenses on all kinds of cameras, of course including the X-T3.

But honestly, I never heard of the lens changing the crop factor? Isn't it the sensor/image size settings doing that?

I'm especially surprised since the beta claims to have a rewritten Xtrans sensor importer and the X-T3 has the new(est?) one, so of course I expected it now being supported???

So far somehow Affinity Photo doesn't really cut it for me. Every time I try it, something else doesn't work or isn't really up to snuff (HDR quality for instance, compared to Aurora HDR 2019).

Still keeping my hopes up though that one day I can use it! :-)

Cheers,

Tom

ScreenDream   |   Windows 8.1 x64 - 64 GB Ram - i7 6 core @ 4.1 GHz - GeForce GTX 1080 TI & GTX 980 Ti

On 1/26/2019 at 1:05 PM, Thomas Helzle said:

HDR quality for instance, compared to Aurora HDR 2019

The current version of Aurora HDR is probably the best dedicated HDR software out there right now.

HDR merge in Affinity Photo is nice to have, but expecting the HDR merge functionality in a generic "all-purpose" photo program to compare well against a program that has been around nearly as long and which is specifically focused on exactly that task is perhaps expecting a bit much?

If you have both, do your HDR merges in Aurora to get the best-quality merge, adjust the exposure/contrast/white balance, do your tone mapping and the like, then export the resulting image and bring it into Affinity Photo for the more detailed manipulations afterward.

These types of programs seldom stand alone if you are trying to get the best possible results.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:05 PM, Thomas Helzle said:

I'm especially surprised since the beta claims to have a rewritten Xtrans sensor importer and the X-T3 has the new(est?) one, so of course I expected it now being supported???

The fact that it is a beta implies that it is not complete.  From what has been described so far in this and other threads it sounds like the X-T3 images are working but the images are simply not being cropped after distortion correction because the lensfun database does not have a profile for it yet.  Cropping the picture yourself until they get a profile added shouldn't be a big deal.

What silly kind of answer is that fde101 and why do you feel the need to write it?

Why would I want to have a bad HDR merge function that produces mostly unusable results? If Affinity isn't able to produce a worthwhile merge, why have it at all? In another thread a user reacted by questioning his own HDR shooting practice because the results in Affinity (even after a staff member went over it) were quite bad.
Defending something bad does not help anybody, it just muddles the waters and confuses users.
The goal can't be to have bad quality tools, even in an all-purpose-software.

And since Affinity Photo claims to be a photo editor, why should it be unreasonable to expect it to support a camera like the X-T3 after more than 4 months?
It's not just the black bar, the colours also come in funny...

Cheers,

Tom

ScreenDream   |   Windows 8.1 x64 - 64 GB Ram - i7 6 core @ 4.1 GHz - GeForce GTX 1080 TI & GTX 980 Ti

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem with my xt3 and the18-55 lens. black curved bar appearing at the top.  Just wondering when it will be sorted.  It's more than disappointing not to be able to edit images.  And, I do agree the colours look a bit odd too.  Attached is a test shot...if it uploads.  

Screenshot 2019-03-13 at 17.27.31.png

Hello @MPAffinity17,
could you please upload the original RAW?

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Interesting find.

I am in love with the X-T20 and three lenses (XF 27 mm, XF 18   55 mm, XC 50 230 mm).

I also found this tiny issue with the beta (258), it does not occur with the regular 1.6.5.135 version.
Interestingly, pictures taken with the XF 27 mm are perfectly okay, just that two zoom lenses are affected.
Plus, the Lens Correction feature shows no effect with the zoom lenses (no effect if you switch it on and off), while it works as expected with the 27 mm prime lens.

Thus it looks like lens correction in the beta does not work at all for a set of lenses; maybe it's just inactive for Fuji zoom lenses.

Well, it's a beta. Till now, I did not find this issue change my life or stop the earth rotating. Might be different in Berlin.

@MPAffinity17 - Just checked.

XF 27 mm prime lens: No lens correction with 1.6.5.135,  the beta does the correction.
XF 18 - 55 zoom lens: No lens correction with 1.6.5.135 and beta.
XC 50 - 230 zoom lens: No lens correction with 1.6.5.135 and beta.

So it seems the regular version does no lense correction with Fuji lenses at all, the beta does it with prime lenses, only.

Erm ... Just loaded another picture taken with the prime lens into the beta: Now the beta also does no lens correction. :/
Ah, guess I found the culprit: You can only switch lens correction on/off if the option "Apply lens corrections" is enabled in the "Assistant Manager". If it's disabled, the checkbox in the Lens tab intensely does nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.